Can't smell the hops.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keat64

Landlord.
Reaction score
I did my first 4 gallon AG at the weekend.
All hops were pellets.

35g of Bramblig Cross at start of boil.
20g of Willamette hops at 15 minutes.
Allowed to cool to 85°c and added another 20g of Willamette.
Left for 15 minutes before draining in to FV.

I've not taken the lid off the FV as it's fermenting away merilly, but the aroma coming out of the airlock doesn't smell hoppy.

I guess time will tell.. any thoughts.

Fermentation aroma is not a great judge, in my experience. Yeast and CO2 smells often dominate.

I use an open FV with the lid loosely on. The smell during fermentation is overpoweringly CO2. Very hoppy beers allow the hop aroma to escape

I've not taken the lid off the FV as it's fermenting away merilly, but the aroma coming out of the airlock doesn't smell hoppy.

I guess time will tell.. any thoughts.

Most of my fermentations smell similar....a sweet fragrent type smell (I know sweet isn't a smell but...), esp in the first couple of days. I've always attributed the smell more to the malt than the hops since it is generally similar, but it could be yeast/CO2. You'll get a better idea at bottling time.

You are unlikely to smell much hop aroma during fermentation, from the quantity of hops you have put in.

The CO2 will dominate during fermentation unless you have put a shed load of hops in.

Some of us chuck in 100g at flameout and 50 - 100g dry hop to get a good hop hit. :smile:

I would suggest a further 40 - 60 g of Willamette about 5 days before bottling or you could try a more pungent hop like galaxy, that should give you some aroma!

I've been away for the weekend.
Yeast was added 10 days ago. Visible signs of a good fermenation were visible 36 hours later.
It's now been fermenting a week, and is showing signs of slowing down.
So maybe i'll check the FG tonight and evaluate the aroma.

Regarding dry hopping.
Is this as the name suggests, you just chuck them in dry ?
Are there any form of sanitation to consider, like microwaving for 10 seconds or scalding for a short while.

I always chuck 'em straight in. Hops are naturally preserving, so no treatment is necessary.

The only time I have noticed any side effects is when I dry hopped with pellets and it left a noticeable sediment in the bottle, which almost always gets in the glass. But it doesn't affect the flavour.

So I'd suggest dry hopping with leaf if possible

Regarding dry hopping.
Is this as the name suggests, you just chuck them in dry ?
Are there any form of sanitation to consider, like microwaving for 10 seconds or scalding for a short while.

I tend to dry hop in a muslin bag, which needs to be sterilised. Just chuck it in a pan of boiling water for ten minutes, let it cool and add the hops.

Last edited:
I only have pellet.

I use keg, so i guess any that manage get through will settle out in the keg anyway

Yeah and put them in a muslin bag if you've got one.

I recently dry hopped an American Pale Ale with 20g of Columbus pellets for 3 weeks before bottling. It tastes superb

will an old sock suffice :lol:

Depends on how many hops your are adding, how big your feet are AND what aroma you want!

There are lots of opinions about dry hopping, some add for several days, and some for a few just before bottling to try to retain the aroma which can die pretty quickly. I prefer the later and put them in a weighted muslin bag tied with string so I can jiggle the bag every day to encourage release of hop oils

I don't have a small muslin bag (mines huge), I was hoping that my first aid kit, might have had one of those sleeve things.
Being impatient, I just dropped 30g of pellets in the FV, I'm sure they will settle to mush in the bottom.
I'll probably look at racking off to the keg at the weekend.

I don't have a small muslin bag (mines huge), I was hoping that my first aid kit, might have had one of those sleeve things.
Being impatient, I just dropped 30g of pellets in the FV, I'm sure they will settle to mush in the bottom.
I'll probably look at racking off to the keg at the weekend.

that can work as you don't need to draw off the keggie dreggies:thumb:

That's what I was thinking.
Most muck will be in the fv, and any that makes it to the keg will settle out anyway.

Latest posts

Back