Can't stay away

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablosaurus

Reaction score
So after becoming a kit-brewing forum regular last year, I decided a couple of months ago that I'd better step back from my recently rediscovered hobby because I was gaining weight, drinking more than was healthy and starting to obsess about the next brew despite having a garage full already.

Six weeks or so later, I'm carrying marginally less timber (you wouldn't know), have substantially less in the garage, am still obsessing, and have just hit 'buy' on:

BeerWorks President Sierra APA
BeerWorks Dragon's Speciale Kentish Bitter
Tiny Rebel Cwtch
St Peter's Golden Ale.

Looks like the hiatus is over.
It's gonna be a good summer, folks! acheers.

Enjoy but take it easy - health is important. I do like kegging rather than bottling now as it gives me more control over exactly how much I drink - esp as all my bottles used to be pint bottles. I know exactly what you mean about wanting to get a new brew on, I've started collecting a few bottles again as my kegs are currently full...

Ha, that's me. I started in December and am constantly looking to see what will I brew next even though I have a garage full of beer and an Irish Red Ale in my FV. I was also collecting bottles by drinking craft beers. I limit my beer intake to Friday and Saturday evenings. And I have just 4 or 5. I started running about 4 years ago and am still running although not as much I was doing before COVID-19. When parkrun returns I will not be drinking on a Friday night and will then be only having beers on Saturday or Sunday nights. I also managed to lose 3 stone after starting to run and have managed to keep it off. So I am good during the week and relax a bit at the weekends, the running and walking helps to keep the belt in check.
Enjoy your beers and enjoy the summer. I love sitting out in the garden and babysitting the BBQ with a few beers, that is peace.

Yes, I'm inclined to not beat myself up too much about it. The drudge of homeworking/lockdown/homeschooling kids combined with the British winter was definitely softened by Auntie Mangrove and Uncle Jack. But you know the game's up when your clothes start to get too tight... :roll: I'm a cyclist at heart and would conventionally be training for a few sportive rides, had the pandemic not put paid to them. I'm starting to ride into the office again a couple of times a week so the bike is seeing more regular action. Definitely feel the benefit of some exercise, light nights etc.

In my defense, I also gave away about 50% of each brew - leaving random beers on local mates doorsteps is good for the soul. Problem is, they keep bringing them back - with extras - assuming I need them. Turns out that I will, now. Perhaps a garden beer festival is in order....

Yes, I'm inclined to not beat myself up too much about it. The drudge of homeworking/lockdown/homeschooling kids combined with the British winter was definitely softened by Auntie Mangrove and Uncle Jack. But you know the game's up when your clothes start to get too tight... :roll: I'm a cyclist at heart and would conventionally be training for a few sportive rides, had the pandemic not put paid to them. I'm starting to ride into the office again a couple of times a week so the bike is seeing more regular action. Definitely feel the benefit of some exercise, light nights etc.

In my defense, I also gave away about 50% of each brew - leaving random beers on local mates doorsteps is good for the soul. Problem is, they keep bringing them back - with extras - assuming I need them. Turns out that I will, now. Perhaps a garden beer festival is in order....
Yes good idea. I have organised a couple of small back garden BBQ’s with neighbours and family so as to burn through some of the stash. It would have been pure madness trying to drink 190 pints myself.😂

Confession time, eh?
In support of Pablosaurus, it is difficult to back off when you have become so immersed in a new hobby and still want to learn more.
I used to mostly bottle my beers and also kept a one or two stouts/porters/brown ales in PB's. But I would never say I had become obsessive. Two brews between end of August and February keept me going through winter. But then the bug bit hard! With a recent keezer project and the taps and kegs to keep it supplied I am enjoying the new level of drinking experience, so I'm determined to ensure I brew some decent beers to do the new kit justice.
I wouldn't say I drink excessively, but the last year of not having to drive to work, working from home with a flexible timetable, and more al-fresco living has seen prompted a few mid-week beers as well as at the weekend. I enjoy "sampling" a half here, a half there. I'm not usually one for glugging down several pints in a sitting. So I'm really enjoying where I'm at with this hobby right now, though wary that I must also keep up my exercise to stay "beach ready", as they say.

Cheers!

Enjoy but take it easy - health is important. I do like kegging rather than bottling now as it gives me more control over exactly how much I drink - esp as all my bottles used to be pint bottles. I know exactly what you mean about wanting to get a new brew on, I've started collecting a few bottles again as my kegs are currently full...
I find it just the opposite, with bottles I know how much I have drunk and can restrict to a couple, with a keg it's just too easy to keep topping the glass up.

Latest posts

Back