Carbing sugar amount

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies lads, has anyone else experienced a brew kick back into life when it has been moved? It looked flat as a fluke last night but definitely bulging the lid again now

I've not had that mate, but the only real way to tell if fermentation has finished is to take hydrometer readings, 2-3 days where they're exactly the same and it's fine to bottle. I wouldn't trust airlock activity or apparent pressure... trust the hydrometer.

Cheers again fuggled, will check again tomorrow with the hydrometer and bottle if still at 1010

as the brew ferments and gives off co2 some will get dissolved into the beer, and movement or a change in temperature can easily agitate this out of suspension and release it emulating yeast activity with a lid bulge or airlock movement. as said above only trust gravity readings for a real indicator of yeast activity its the only reliable method open to you.

I've not had that mate, but the only real way to tell if fermentation has finished is to take hydrometer readings, 2-3 days where they're exactly the same and it's fine to bottle. I wouldn't trust airlock activity or apparent pressure... trust the hydrometer.

I've got this paranoia about opening the FV twixt pitching the yeast and bottling time, so for me taking samples is a non starter. I just give it 3 weeks then go for it. I figure if fermentation hasn't done by then it's a dud! But it always has...

I've got this paranoia about opening the FV twixt pitching the yeast and bottling time, so for me taking samples is a non starter. I just give it 3 weeks then go for it. I figure if fermentation hasn't done by then it's a dud! But it always has...

That's my school of thought, though I did just open my fv mid ferment for a 150g 7 day dry hop, 50of amarillo,chinook & simcoe - dry hopping wakes up a fermenting brew too. It does with mine at least. :whistle:

That's my school of thought, though I did just open my fv mid ferment for a 150g 7 day dry hop, 50of amarillo,chinook & simcoe - dry hopping wakes up a fermenting brew too. It does with mine at least. :whistle:

If you dry-hop in the FV, do you get a haze in bottled beer? I tried it yonks ago but something put me off doing it again but apart from the above I can't remember what it was! These 'senior moments' are becoming worryingly frequent.

If you dry-hop in the FV, do you get a haze in bottled beer? I tried it yonks ago but something put me off doing it again but apart from the above I can't remember what it was! These 'senior moments' are becoming worryingly frequent.

Hop haze comes from the quantity used regardless of when you do it. e.g. Brewdog point out that their Dead Pony Club is slightly hazy because they use a boatload of dry hops. Was it hop bits you got in the bottles? I dry hopped with loose pellets once and got some bits in the bottles which I didn't like so I always bag them now.

Hop haze comes from the quantity used regardless of when you do it. e.g. Brewdog point out that their Dead Pony Club is slightly hazy because they use a boatload of dry hops. Was it hop bits you got in the bottles? I dry hopped with loose pellets once and got some bits in the bottles which I didn't like so I always bag them now.

Thanks. I still can't recall what was wrong, but probably just throwing the hops in loose. Will try the bag for the brew I've got on now, though I'm loathe to open up the FV!

Thanks. I still can't recall what was wrong, but probably just throwing the hops in loose. Will try the bag for the brew I've got on now, though I'm loathe to open up the FV!
For dry hopping I used to use a bag with SS spoons to weigh it down.
But I now use of of these over the end of the siphon tube (mine came from a Festival kit).

s-l1600.jpg

This allows the hops to move about in the brew without restriction and the bag mesh is small enough to keep the hop bits going forward.
So you get the best of both worlds.
And I dont worry about opening the FV to do essential things like taking SG readings and dry hopping. Go on be brave :thumb:

Entirely more satisfying batch priming and bottling into glass bottles, feels like a "proper job".

IMG_20170529_160732.jpg

Latest posts

Back