Carbonating lager - prime v force - pressure barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffers brewery

Complicated Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first pilsner brew is well into fermentation so I’m umming and ahring about the next step. My plan was to transfer to one of my pressure barrels and lager for 3 weeks at 0C-1C. Then I was going to force carbonate. Looking at the chart I can achieve 2.3 volumes (which apparently is OK for a lager) at 10C and 15 p.s.i. As I set the relief valve on my barrels to 15 p.s.i. when I carbonate using priming sugar albeit at a higher temperature 20C, I can’t see any issues? Looking for a bit of reassurance from regular lager brewers please.

Probably all ok with a few caveats.

2.3 volumes CO2 is at the low end of a lager carbonation so depends if you like you lager to be particularly fizzy or not. Personally I'm fine with less gassy beer. If you can get it below 10°C then it will absorb more at 15 PSI.

Secondly pressure barrels typically had the old rubber band pressure relief at around 9-10 PSI, I can't remember what the actual maximum rating is for them but 15 PSI seems possible though perhaps pushing the envelope, but you take your chances. I remember on of my Dad's barrels splitting at the seam due to pressure but it was one of the old brown type ones so probably not as strong as a King Keg or similar. I've seen your setup though so can't see why it wouldn't hold.

Finally if your pressure relief is at 15 PSI and you force carb at 15 PSI then the valve might start to crack open. causing a CO2 leak. I'm guessing you'll set it a bit higher though.

If you can get it below 10°C then it will absorb more at 15 PSI.
Good point. I can get down to 0C 👍🏻
Finally if your pressure relief is at 15 PSI and you force carb at 15 PSI then the valve might start to crack open. causing a CO2 leak. I'm guessing you'll set it a bit higher though.
I won’t be fitting a pressure relief valve during carbonation. My secondary regulator is relieving type so any pressure above 15 p.s.i. will be vented through the regulator.

Thanks for the feedback @Graz

Back