Carbonation with a chilled tap dispenser

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Carbonation charts are great for determining what pressure you need to carbonate your beer at a given temp. So far I've done this at fridge/keggarator temperature of 5 degrees C and all is good.

However, if I am serving from a keg through a chilled tap dispenser like a Lindr Machine (photo below, you may have seen these at beer festivals) where the keg will be outside of a fridge at ambient temperature, so say 20 degrees or so, then chilled to serving temp as the beer is poured then what do I carbonate the beer to?

1706554482630.png

Clearly it can't be at the assumed ambient temperature of the beer as the pressure would be very high and might cause massive foaming when dispensing.

Similarly if I carbonate at 5 degrees C then allow the keg to warm to ambient temps then would that mean the pressure in the keg will rise when the beer warms again using foaming issues when serving if the flow of the beer through the chiller doesn't balance the carbonation level in the beer?

What does the hive mind say? Thanks.

Hi, I'm interested in this issue too. I normally carbonate my kegs with CO2 at ambient temperature and leave them until I'm ready to put them in my kegerator which is at 6C. I have to admit that my carbonation is pretty hit and miss. It was fine when I was using the sugar method.

Back