carmalising a wort

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am gonna ask my mom to make me some Candi sugar, all it looks like is boiled sweets.

The beauty of making it yourself is you don't need to let it solidify cos it's a bit of a pain to dissolve it in the wort. Better invite her to your brewday to shorten the brewday a bit ;-) unless of course you'll have to make tea for her for the rest of the day :-)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2m6i_VSRbI[/ame]

Simply use Tate and Lyle Black Treacle (available at all supermarkets). Thats all it is "caramelized sugar". This can be added post fermentation as its not fermentable. Open the tin place it in a pan of boiling water to loosen it up and pour in to your preferred taste. Easy Peasey.

Caramelising wort, using Candi sugar, black treacle, molasses, are all different things which will produce different results.

While we are here:

chartsugar3.jpg

Totally agree, but for ease of use Id still go for black treacle. You can easily make your own caramel (its not that difficult)but why bother when Tate and Lyle have done it for you (and its cheaper)

Maybe an idea to make dilute tasters with water to compare the flavour profiles...I expect they will be different...but some might be what you're after. And note colour differences.

The only trouble with "taste testers" is that until you get to the really dark stages/colour of caramelized sugar they just taste sweet, they have no really flavour.

made this:

250g chocolate malt
500g crystal
3kg DME - dark
500g DME - Wheat
450g black treacle
500g dark candi sugar
[FONT=&quot]40g admiral 15min boil

from 1.073 to 1.014 so the black trecle must have fermented. It's a beast of a beer, rich powerful and thick as well :wha: i use dark candi sugar a lot and i'd say the black treacle overpowered it.

It's not subtle :lol:
[/FONT]

ok, what I understand is that dark candi sugar imparts fruit flavors like raisen, date, plum etc whereas caramel calls for either caramelised wort or caramelized sugar. Most people think that when they make candi sugar at home that it will impart flavors, this is a matter of conjecture because the process of causing inversion through the use of an acidic catalyst may actually inhibit flavour production. Here is a dude on youtube demonstrating what he considers to be the correct approach to making dark candi sugar, not with the use of an acidic catalyst like lemon juice or creme of tartar but with an alkali, calcium hydroxide. check it out if you have a mind to.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25ohU8GfAJk[/ame]

It's a feature of traditional copper kettles. The naked flame on the highly conductive copper causes caramelisation.

http://www.diffordsguide.com/producers/855/caledonian-brewery-company-limited

I see not a few commercial breweries do open fermentation. Those copper kettles look amazing.

As for me I simply caramelized some sugar and poured it into the wort at flame out. This appeared to me to be the easiest method. Much easier than attempting to reduce wort.

I see not a few commercial breweries do open fermentation. Those copper kettles look amazing.

As for me I simply caramelized some sugar and poured it into the wort at flame out. This appeared to me to be the easiest method. Much easier than attempting to reduce wort.

Yeah, I was thinking it's probably the easiest way as I was reading the thread. Tried caramelized Maltose rather than sucrose?

Depends what flavours you are after. Mixing DME with sucrose or maltose suggests you want to go down the maillard reaction route to get the stone fruit flavours you get in dark candy syrup, in which case you want to do it in an alkaline environment (CaOH, NaOH) like the chap in the video did rather than the boil sugars with lemon juice traditional approach.
Ingredients are cheap though, so maybe worth experimenting. I must check out his other video.

Latest posts

Back