Carvers Christmas Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
My brother has asked me to brew him something for Christmas, just a basic 4.8% Bitter (or ESB) so i'm sticking with the sort of grain bill I mainly stick to.

Hopefully I can get this done tomorrow :pray:

Carvers Christmas Ale

50L Batch
Target OG : 1.050 (75% brewhouse eff)
Target IBU : ~35
90 min 67c mash
90 min boil

Maris Otter 94% (10.5 kg)
Crystal 2.5% (0.28 kg)
Torrified Wheat 2.5% (0.28 kg)
Chocolate Malt 1.0% (0.12 kg)

Challenger FWH to 32IBU (90g of 7%aa)
Bobek to 3 IBU at 15 mins (30g of 4.5%aa)
Bobek 30g at 80c for 30 mins

Using S04

Would it be fair to assume that you're not generous/stupid enough to give away the whole 50L :rofl:
Looks like a decent recipe Wez i'm sure he'll be delighted with it ;)

A T said:
Would it be fair to assume that you're not generous/stupid enough to give away the whole 50L :rofl:

Quite right ;) splitting it 50/50 :thumb:

Cheers! re: Bobeks - gotta say no, they are no where near a Styrian replacement, much more subtle IMO and also a bit fruity, they are good though I think in a beer like this, not too overpowering but still a subtle hop presence.

Halfway through the sparge :party: working it around visitors :) :thumb:

You at it again W :?: Hope it's going well :thumb: I was going to brew this weekend, Dunfie's Snow Leopard, but had to go out robbing instead. I'm going to compensate myself with a 80l NO MT.

Had to do a 2.5hr mash today :roll:

Just bringing it up to the boil, I have 71L at 1.048 which seems a bit high :?

Target is 50L at 1.050 :shock:

Correction I seem to have 71L at 1.052 :shock: :shock: :shock: checked it 3 times :wha:

Would the extended mash have anything to do with this? - Do extended mashes have any detrimental effects?

IIRC from another post it was mentioned that there's a chance of Tannins or off flavours occurring from extended mashes. never noticed it myself though.

edit - and i've done a 2 and a bit hour mash before

I have 80g Bobeks left do i throw them in a 80c or not? :hmm:

Well, I hope my brother likes Bobeks, 80g in at 80c :party:

Latest posts

Back