Cask not dropping bright... ;-(

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertsIPA

Reaction score
I've had two 25l casks of HopBack Summer Lightning conditioning since 3 May. I added gelatine last weekend, and whereas it has normally started to take effect by now there's practically no difference. It's a pale brew and at the moment it's soooo cloudy I cannot see through it.

First time this has happened to one of my brews. Achieved a couple of degrees off FG from bang on OG, so I don't believe it's an excessive amount of yeast left in suspension. I also added 100g sugar (in solution) when I racked to cask to jump start conditioning (and it achieved the necessary effect as both casks were under plenty of pressure as I added the gelatine.

Leave a while longer out in the garage obviously (sadly I don't have a fridge to drop the conditioning temp further), but is a further leaf or two of gelatine an option if clarity doesn't improve over the next week?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers!

Which yeast did you use as some clear better than others. Last year I made Sara Carter's Bombay IPA with 2 sachets of Notty. It hadn't dropped completely bright until I had almost finished the keg about 2 months after kegging.

Safale SO-4. Same I've used for my previous brews and it's always worked before. Tastes great and is nice and hoppy. Just looks like a German weissbeir!

Hmm.. I've had the same problem with a really light ale. Not clearing.
I mashed it on 10 March, we're now mid-May and it's only just about clear.

I did put some flaked maize in with the main mash, no prep step, 10%, which I suspect may be the culprit. Also, it was with a 3rd generation Summer Lightening yeast culture, which may have hung around a bit giving it the chance to mutate a bit.

I'd also like to understand how to make a Summer Lightening clone type ale - without clearing issues - this isn't the first one that has taken ages to clear.

Any ideas anyone - what's the formula for a lager coloured real ale that clears as fast as one with MO or pale ale malt?

My summer lightning is now crystal clear. If I'd only had the patience (aka another cask to drink!) to wait an extra 10 days or so...

Latest posts

Back