Caxton Real Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambo perego

Reaction score
My very first brew and today I took my first hydrometer having forgotten to take an OG reading (stupid newbie!)
It reads 1.004 so I'll see where it's at over the next 2 days.
It's been in the fv for 11 days and I was always planning on bottling after 14.
The hydro reads 0.998 in water of a similar temp so that makes my real reading 1.006' right?

Anyway, enough science - I tested it and it was..........GOOD!

Was banking on me having cocked up somewhere on the line but it honestly tasted like a bog standard pint of bitter from the pub. It has a slightly sweet, pleasant taste, not noticable strong in alchohol, little bit cloudy and with no trace of yeast or acidity at all.

Bearing in mind it'll only get better I'm felling really jolly pleased!

Big thanks to this forum that I've got this far!

Can I estimate what the OG might have been ? Any ideas?

The OG's of kits are usually from around 1038 to 1045.

Atre these Tom Caxton kits any good?
My dad used to make them years back!

This kit was the first one I made after a bit of break from beer brewing, last September.
Drinkable brew, nothing special but a good starting kit.
Problem is, you get more picky the more you do :)

Don't worry about the OG, if you put in what you are supposed to it'll turn out well.
And 1.004 will be done I would think.

Second reading 1.004 temperature correction gives 1.003
Estimate this will be somewhere round 4% + or - 0.5%.

Lovely colour and has noticeable cleared since even yesterday

Bottling looking good for Friday.

Since I made this with plain old granulated sugar I'm tempter to prime with that too, just to see.

Got some Milton serialiser for baby stuff and see its non rinse, any reason not to use this product?

Ok it's in the bottle! Quite simple really - got exactly 40 bottles and it taste pretty good. Conditioning for 4 weeks till I try it.
Picked up a Woodfordes Wherry from Wilkinsons so I'll kick that off next week.

Happy Punter!

I have to admit I am a true lover of the Tom Caxton Real Ale. As with most brews it tastes better with age, but after this beer is 6 months old it is pure essence... Only problem is waiting 6 months without drinking it, as it tastes pretty good after 3!

Latest posts

Back