Changes to the highway code.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s not good with people thinking they can walk out in front of a vehicle and it will just stop. Some time ago, when I rode a motorcycle, I was turning right onto the estate where I work, when a pedestrian decided he would just walk out in front of me to cross the road expecting me to stop for him. What he hadn’t seen was the lorry coming towards me on the road I was turning off of. So, instead of stopping in the path of the lorry, I sounded my horn loudly and carried on going just missing him. He screamed at me, “you saw me crossing”, I said “I did, but I could also see the lorry coming towards me too and a choice of hitting you or getting hit by a lorry was a simple one, so don’t be a pr*ck”.

It’s not good with people thinking they can walk out in front of a vehicle and it will just stop. Some time ago, when I rode a motorcycle, I was turning right onto the estate where I work, when a pedestrian decided he would just walk out in front of me to cross the road expecting me to stop for him. What he hadn’t seen was the lorry coming towards me on the road I was turning off of. So, instead of stopping in the path of the lorry, I sounded my horn loudly and carried on going just missing him. He screamed at me, “you saw me crossing”, I said “I did, but I could also see the lorry coming towards me too and a choice of hitting you or getting hit by a lorry was a simple one, so don’t be a pr*ck”.
So you turned across the front of the lorry.

I did it all the time when i was riding, a gap big enough to turn, indicator on and if some loon decided he or she wanted to cross without taking the time to weigh up the situation that's their fault not mine
Exactly. Although, on this occasion, he had weighed the situation up perfectly but decided he’d go anyway and I’ll stop for him!

As drivers we already scan for pedestrians ready to cross at zebra crossings and prepare to stop? So it’s now the same process at junctions. Also, following drivers just follow the same process as zebra crossings and stop when the car in front does. If drivers of any kind of vehicles can’t do that then they are not paying attention or have left the insufficient space. Of course, nobody wants to be involved in an accident, and blame isn’t really that helpful, but it’s really each of our responsibility to ensure the safety of all road users.

Had some tossers in front of me the other day doing unnecessary braking probably seeing if I was not paying enough attention..

I have just had my first experience of how the new rules are going to be a total pain in the ****, I wanted to turn off a main road into a drive but there was a dog walker travelling in the same direction I slowed to let him go past the drive but he stopped he didn't signal to tell me to go so I gave the thumbs up so he could sross the old fella looked blankly at me and stood his ground so I sounded my horn and waved him across he finally got the message and moved, I now had 5 cars behind me on a very busy road, the general public haven't a clue the rules have changed and all it has done is make our job harder.

I wonder if this has anything to do with why I encountered 2 people walking down the middle of the road in a car park yesterday on seperate occasions despite their being a footpath a few feet to their side, stubbornly not moving out of the way and forcing me to go around.

The rules aren't too bad in principle, it's when people become awkward and stubbornly obstruct other traffic because they have right of way rather than using common sense it leads to aggro and 'accidents'

That just looks like a clarification, if someone starts to cross a road before I turn in they obviously have right of way. It's always been that way.
That's what I thought and in the past I've always given way to pedestrians if they're already crossing a junction, as I always thought that was the rule. So the new bit is about stopping for people who are waiting to cross at the junction to side roads but I don't see how that's really enforceable if you just drove through and they have to wait instead, unless it's basically treated like a zebra crossing. I know if I was a pedestrian and a car was quickly turning into a side road I would not walk in front of them.

Last edited:
https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/highway-code-changes-not-apply-22931452
Screenshot_20220131-181333.png

Maybe it's just bold talk but some of you can't be serious about willingly running down a pedestrian because they're too stupid to follow the rules?
We've no shortage of inattentive pedestrians, cars, bikers, bicyclists, scooter riders, etc. but you do get used to it.
I have to be extra careful when out jogging because in that particular area, seeing a pedestrian is unusual. Lots of looking around first, pretending I'm invisible.

Here in Australia as far as I know we have always given way to pedestrians when turning, it's no big deal, just common sense. The first time I went to UK I nearly got knocked over by a turning vehicle thinking it was the same there.

Here in Australia as far as I know we have always given way to pedestrians when turning, it's no big deal, just common sense. The first time I went to UK I nearly got knocked over by a turning vehicle thinking it was the same there.

Same here foxy we have all done it why they needed to make the changes is beyond me.

Latest posts

Back