Cheap & Simple Festive Mince Pie Inspired Brew...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About a teaspoon of yeast is enough since once it's in with sugar solution it starts multiplying so theoretically u can add just one grain and it will work but take a lot longer and if u add to much it's wasting yeast!

You should be ok with wine yeast let us know how it turns out and good luck

Sorted it lol. I dunno how urs looks really clear on the picture mine looks like muddy water

To get the suet out I:

Added the mincemeat and about 3L of water in a large pan and sturred it up well
And the suet floated to the top so I just lifted it out with a sieve then added sugar and heated a little to get it all desoluved

Added another 1L of cold water to cool it and tipped the lot into the dj before adding yeast starter and topping up with cold water

Was a lovely yellow colour like in the picture
I don't know why urs would be brown, I hope it tastes nice!!

No idea why it's brown maybe it's the mincemeat mix. It tastes nice and I got most of the suet out. How is yours going?

This is what mine looks like last night

ad95dd6611f2df5b8044feb41efea847.jpg

Today

bb30e6c322d22d17eb5c7d8ceb9c252d.jpg

Should I shake it cos there is a massive head on it

Yeah urs is darker than mine, strange oh well might be coz I used cheapo stuff,
Yes do shake it! With most brews with bits in a good shake always helps don't worry about sediment till after u sieved the lumps out coz it will all get mixed up anyway, so "rock the baby" or shake it for the first few days!

Nice pictures by the way!
I will see about getting some of mine up

Mine went on 8th December, so 5 days and counting and it's still bubbling like a good-'un! OG 1.056

In the DJ mine looks quite like awalton007's.

Keeping fingers crossed for this, smells lovely!

Hehe I'm glad you liked it!!
I was very surprised how smooth it it without my effort at all!!

What colour did it turn out? Mine have always been like a brightish yellow!

I think mines finished. No more airlock activity. Took a reading, .998 and have racked and strained fruit. Have got it under an airlock still just in case. Will let it settle and see if any more activity then hopefully bottle next few days.

Had a quick sample, not too bad. Like a very dry white wine. Would need a little back sweetening i think. Only down side at the moment there is a distinct eggy smell which isn't too pleasant. Any thoughts on that anyone?

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to deal with the eggy smell? Hoping to bottle today or tomorrow is there something i need to add?

Cheers as always!

kentmark said:
I think mines finished. No more airlock activity. Took a reading, .998
That sounds about right for a finished dry wine.

kentmark said:
Only down side at the moment there is a distinct eggy smell which isn't too pleasant. Any thoughts on that anyone?
It sounds like you probably didn't get enough of the suet out and it's gone rancid, only thing I can think of.

kentmark said:
Does anyone have any thoughts on how to deal with the eggy smell? Hoping to bottle today or tomorrow is there something i need to add?

Cheers as always!
Just looked it up in my homebrew book, turns out it's excess sulphites, caused by leaving wine on the sediment for too long, or bacterial contamination. Supposedly if you rack it several times to aerate it well, the smell should go.

no, don't worry. it's a result of young age and dissipates with time. cider does the same thing. you can degass it too to get rid of some of it.

Mincemeat 17p a jar at Norwich Sainsburys at the moment!

Mincemeat 17p a jar (822g) at Norwich Sainsburys at the moment!

Latest posts

Back