Chest freezer kegerator has stopped cooling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leard

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I built a kegerator using a second hand chest freezer I got for £40. I've had it hooked up near continuously to a temp monitoring at 4-5 degrees. I had a look the other day and noticed it was at 14 degrees. The freezer is humming and making liquidly sounds, but isn't cooling. It sounds like there liquid running around it. It doesn't sound how it used to.

I'm at a bit of a loss what to do. Do I just accept it's broken and try and get another chest freezer that will fit the wooden collar on this one? Or is there a way I can possibly fix it?

If the compressor motor is runs then stops after about 10 seconds then it's possible that the compressor has stuck. That happens to my serving fridge about once a year.
The solution for that particular issue (as recommended by a refrigeration engineer) is to switch the unit off and tap the motor "firmly" with something. Switch back on and see what happens. Might take a couple of gentle thumps but so far, that fix has kept my fridge going.
Might just save you the cost of buying a new one.

Cheers Tom

My honest opinion (as a refrigeration engineer ;)) is that, based on your description of the problem, the issue is one of two things :

1. There is a leak somewhere and the vast majority of the refrigerant has escaped.
2. The compressor valves have failed (or are failing), preventing the compressor from building up sufficient pressure.

My money is on the second one but, unfortunately, neither issue is worth repairing financially speaking. Modern domestic refrigeration equipment is designed to be disposable; the parts and labour required to fix it would exceed the price of a new appliance. My advice is to look for a second hand unit which will fit the collar.

Back