Choc & Treacle Stout - 06/11/08

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz

Reaction score
Not been posting for a bit as I've been busy with a project in the garden and, having the wife and kids at home over half-term hasn't helped. Anyhow, they are all back now so I'm going to fire up the boiler tomorrow. :thumb:

I'm drinking this brew at the moment and like it so much I want another keg to be ready for Christmas;

60min mash @ 68deg
5500g Pale Malt
510g Roast Barley
255g Wheat Malt
170g Choc Malt

60min boil
100g Northdown (6%) 60min
300g Black Treacle 20min

2x S04 yeast

Looking at 23l @ 1056 on my set-up.

looks very similar to one of my recipes (taRd) mmmm yummy

i might try the choc malt and treacle in my next one :thumb:

have a goodun'

The best beer I have brewed so far is my Treacle Stout which was loosely based on your recipe. Have a good one. :cheers:

Thanks guys. Mash on at 7.30, in the process of batch sparging as we speak.

QUESTION: does anyone bother wasting a Whirfloc/Protafloc on a stout :hmm: I have done up until now but, I'm thinking maybe not this time. Thoughts?

Why would you want to put sodium in your beer anyway? :twisted:

I've written your recipe down B and i'll be doing this towards the end of my summer here ready for 'winter'. :cool:

Glad to hear your back in the chair again. :cool:

Buzz said:
QUESTION: does anyone bother wasting a Whirfloc/Protafloc on a stout :hmm: I have done up until now but, I'm thinking maybe not this time. Thoughts?

Kinda pointless to Whirfloc/Protafloc a stout innit?

The goods

PIC_0168.jpg

First runnings

PIC_0169.jpg

Bugger - smashed the hydrometer. Treacle lid also fallen on the floor, sticky-side down :(

I've just put the chiller in so 15mins of the boil left. Better get the spare hydro out...

You're not going to believe this. I've just killed hyrometer #2 :shock:

I was warming some butternut squash soup I made last night in the microwave. The bowl was hot as I tried to remove it, I jerked my arm back and hit the trial jar that was on the kitchen side, containing the hydrometer. Onto the floor and smash.

PIC_0173.jpg

I'm buggered now. About to transfer the wort to the FV and haven't taken a gravity reading. I'll have to assume it's the same as before :wha:

I'm gonna stay out of the kitchen for the rest of the day... :oops:

So, ended up with 23l at 1056 according to Beersmith (I hit 1058 when I last brewed this but only achieved 21l in the FV) so I'll go along with the 1056 for this one. New hydrometer and spare on order. Now time for one I brewed earlier...

stout.jpg

i'm a bugger for snapping hydrometers. my last one was when i forgot it was in the fermenter bucket while frantically aerating my wort. i wondered why i couldn't find it floating on the surface. found both parts and was a clean break so at least the wort didn't get binned :shock:

i bought 5 more hydrometers from the HBS... got home to find that i'd actually infact bought 5 spirit % alcohol thingies that look exactly like hydrometers.... DOH :oops:

Nice looking beer Buzz :drink:

Good pics, apart from the hydro one :( (get a refractometer) :party:

Back