Chocolate Milkshake Stout V2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stout Brewing

Reaction score
Afternoon,

So my Chocolate Milkshake Stout V2 (my second all grain brew) is safely tucked away in the cupboard bubbling away - have made a few tweaks and looking forward to tasting the results.

Thought I’d pop my recipe on here and see if anyone had any feedback, thoughts etc. Very new to brewing so I’m all ears!

CHOCOLATE MILKSHAKE STOUT V2
5 Litre Batch

GRAIN BILL
850g Marris Otter
150g Chocolate
150g Oats
100g Crystal
100g Caragold

MASH
70 degrees for one hour / 2.6 litres water
Mashed out at 77 degrees

SPARGE
4 litres water

BOIL
One hour boil with the following additions…
  • 15g East Kent Goldings – 75% full boil, 25% at 45 mins
  • 200g lactose at 30 mins
  • 150g Roasted cocoa nibs that had been steeped in vodka
  • Half a whirfloc tablet
YEAST
Mangrove Jacks Strong Ale Yeast

It’s currently fermenting nicely in the cupboard. I’m panning to give it 3 weeks and then…

TINCTURE
I’ve made a vodka tincture using the roasted cocoa nibs to give some big chocolate flavours. This will go in and then I’ll bottle with sugar

SECONDARY
I’m going to let it carb up for two weeks and then pop in the fridge and give it 5-6 weeks to develop. I know the longer the better!

A little picture of the mash below.

Thanks for any input!

DQLw1F5
DQLw1F5.jpg

2y5Zp03

I'm planning something similar soon, but going to add some vanilla too to boost the "milkshake" quality.
Edit: just noticed this was a 5L batch, that's a lot of nibs and lactose!

I'm planning something similar soon, but going to add some vanilla too to boost the "milkshake" quality.
Edit: just noticed this was a 5L batch, that's a lot of nibs and lactose!

Nice! Was really happy with version 1 but tweaked a few bits to see what effect it has. Haha, yep I went pretty big, perhaps too big... :)

Look forward to hearing how yours goes mate!

First try of the this Chocolate Milkshake Stout last night! It had 2 weeks in primary, 2 in secondary, and then its spent a month in the fridge.

The plan is to try at 3 months, 6 months and one year as well.

It pours...a lovely solid black with a nice tight head at the lower portion and larger thicker bubbles on the top (I think due to the lactose?). Carbonation is exactly how I wanted with groups of little bubbles dancing up the sides of the glass

It smells...Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate! An ever so slight vegetal note as well which was not intended but not enough to override

It tastes...BIG chocolate flavours as expected! For this version two I’d added some caramalt which has achieved what I wanted. I think the oats have helped along that thick mouthfeel I was after - although haven’t achieved the level of creaminess yet. Only negative is a slight bitterness, well I’m struggling to decide if it’s bitterness or dryness or a combination. Will have a think and a read, at a best guess I think this will be related to either my dark malts or Hop additions which I may lower in next batch

All in All very please and a step forward from version one!
C8C9BAF4-C29F-4F70-B8EB-AA4E01745479.jpeg

9CEA4048-A2F7-43D1-ABA3-FCE5B32D83E0.jpeg

4DC7D708-5068-40C6-8BE7-46C4D1826678.jpeg

Latest posts

Back