cider advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jans1971

Reaction score
its now been 7 days since i started the brew and on the instrutions it says it takes 7 days but it is still bubbling away and the hyro reading and its 1010 and they say its got to be 998 or less so is it fermenting ok. when priming the bottles ill use 1/2 tsp of brewing sugar in 500ml bottles but how much for 740ml bottles. if i want a more sparkling cider do i just add more sugar. i dont want chill haze like iv got with my lagar so what do i put in to stop it . hope some one can help :)

it can take longer than seven days. check that the fermenting temperature is between 18 and 22'c. if it is... all is fine and let it keep going :thumb:

if it says half a teaspoon for 500ml (2 grams per bottle) it would be 3/4 a teaspoon (3 grams a bottle) for 740ml.

2 grams per bottle will give you 2.0 volumes, which is quite sparkling. if you want to go higher, like 2.1 or 2.2 volumes you're only talking less than half a gram per bottle which just isn't weighable at that quantity unless you have super accurate scales.

to be more accurate and make sure you get even carbonation between bottles, you're better of bulk priming, which is racking your cider to another bucket, using This bulk priming calculator and adding the sugar (preferably gently simmered in water first) to the batch in one go... then you just stir it in and fill the bottles in one foul swoop! :thumb:

my cider has stopped bubbling now, and its at 1010 but it says on the tin it should be 998 or less ???????? what shall i do

that is still a little high for a kit cider.

give it a gentle stir with a sanitised plastic or metal spoon, rousing the yeast off the bottom of the fermenter. check the gravity over the next two days and if it's unchanged, then it's unlikely to ferment anymore, so is ready to keg/bottle.

BrewStew said:
that is still a little high for a kit cider.

give it a gentle stir with a sanitised plastic or metal spoon, rousing the yeast off the bottom of the fermenter. check the gravity over the next two days and if it's unchanged, then it's unlikely to ferment anymore, so is ready to keg/bottle.
iv given a stir now thanks for the advice. if it stays at 1010 then it means it will be 4% but on the can it says it will be 5% . is that just hit and miss and it will be what it will be :wha:

its now been 2 days and it still at 1010 so its ready to bottle, but it looks like iv lostmy job and im not in the mood to bottle tonight, is it ok to leave it till tomorrow or thursday :(

I know how you feel I'm in the process of losing my job but look on the bright side when you've bottled your cider you'll have plenty to drown your sorrows :D
Best of luck finding a new job :thumb:

jans1971 said:
its now been 2 days and it still at 1010 so its ready to bottle, but it looks like iv lostmy job and im not in the mood to bottle tonight, is it ok to leave it till tomorrow or thursday :(

Sorry to hear that jans :(

bottled my cider tonight and it was a bit smelly. not a bad smell but didnt smell much like cider. :D looks like my job might be ok iv been told we are down sizeing and im in there plans, but will mean iv got a longer ride on my motorbike . :grin: dam ;)

Good news about the job :cool:

I'm moving this thread to the cider discussion forum :thumb:

Back