Cider yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazymullet

Reaction score
Hi all not sure if this is the best place for this post. Anyway I'm new to brewing, love ale and cider. Would love to have a go at some TC's. Not sure about types of yeast and nutrients. Any advice would be great. BTW if anyone close to Leamington area has any kit going cheap. Another FV would be great can use as a secondary. Any help advice would be great thanks.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

All purpose wine yeasts, Champagne yeasts and Cider yeasts will all work perfectly well.
Don't overdo the tannin or the nutrients - a teaspoon of each in 25l is about right.
It you're doing supermarket juices, you will probably want to increase he acidity. Malic acid will give the best results but citric works ok for cheap and cheerful brews.

If you want to take it up a notch and are prepared to go with a long maturation in the FV, you can harvest yeast and malolactic bacteria from a farmhouse cider (you can't use Old Rosie anymore as it's now pasteurised) but if you are going to try this, you mustn't use citric acid as hydrogen sulphide does not a happy brewer make.

Can't comment on the expensive liquid yeasts as I've not tried them.

Cheers for that. Wine yeast and nutrients going on the shopping list. 👍

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Having carried out numerous cider yeast experiments my personal favourite is S-04 combined with WLP644. A decent champagne yeast comes close behind that.

Also, if you want it dry but not bone dry, add a bit of pear juice to introduce some sorbitol.

Latest posts

Back