Citra and Nelson Sauvin IPA - hop advice?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teadixon

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got 85 grams each of Citra and Nelson Sauvin hops and wanted to make an IPA.

I just wondered about balancing these 2 hops, anyone ever used this combo? How does the below sound? (This is adapted from James Morton's Extra IPA in his book, Brew - he likes to pack in the hops!)

I do 10L batches, BIAB on the stove, so this is halved:

Grains:
Maris Otter 2.25 kg (80.4%)
Munich Malt 250g (8.9%)
Oats 100g (3.6%)
White Sugar 200g (7.1%)

Adapting his hop schedule to what I've got (and reducing it by 15g - he has 350g in his 20L recipe)

FWH: Citra, 12.5g

10 mins:
Citra 12.5g
Nelson 12.5g

Aroma Steep:
Citra 28g
Nelson 28g

Dry hop, 3 days:
Citra 32g
Nelson 44.5

US-05 Yeast

OG: 1.058 - 1.062
FG: 1.008 - 1.010

ABV: 6.8 -7%

61 IBUs
10 EBC

Hi,

I've got 85 grams each of Citra and Nelson Sauvin hops and wanted to make an IPA.

I just wondered about balancing these 2 hops, anyone ever used this combo? How does the below sound? (This is adapted from James Morton's Extra IPA in his book, Brew - he likes to pack in the hops!)

I do 10L batches, BIAB on the stove, so this is halved:

Grains:
Maris Otter 2.25 kg (80.4%)
Munich Malt 250g (8.9%)
Oats 100g (3.6%)
White Sugar 200g (7.1%)

Adapting his hop schedule to what I've got (and reducing it by 15g - he has 350g in his 20L recipe)

FWH: Citra, 12.5g

10 mins:
Citra 12.5g
Nelson 12.5g

Aroma Steep:
Citra 28g
Nelson 28g

Dry hop, 3 days:
Citra 32g
Nelson 44.5

US-05 Yeast

OG: 1.058 - 1.062
FG: 1.008 - 1.010

ABV: 6.8 -7%

61 IBUs
10 EBC

Edit that, I only need to adjust by 5g, not 15 - I have 170, to his 175, I'll make my aroma steep the same as his - 33g each not 28.

It's a good combination of hops. I brewed a pale ale with 100g split between steep and dry hop. Used a little Magnum to bitter.

The Nelson is really unusual - and works well with the citra.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love nelson but for my money with the prices of those 2 hops I wouldn't want to put them together. For good examples of both try the Oakham citra and from thornbridge the killing to best show of each of the hops.

For me, both are great hops and can add a real shine to other combinations. However, I'd probably not mix them because I think it might blunt their appeal! You'll get a good beer, no doubt, but I'd rather make two great beers! Use them as late or dry hops backed up by some less outstanding hops for bittering and mid-term hopping.

Thanks all - that's all interesting to consider...

I was mulling over blending a little in the boil and steep and then splitting the batch for dry hopping. I already have the hops so I'm not too worried about the cost (already spent the money so might as well use them!).

Brightonnik - sadly I don't have anywhere nearby that stocks much Thornbridge; I love their beers but don't know that one. I've had some great citra beers from Kernel and just got myself a Tuatara Sauvinova (single hop pale ale with Nelson) so I'm giving that a go now. :drink:

It's a good combination of hops. I brewed a pale ale with 100g split between steep and dry hop. Used a little Magnum to bitter.

Second this. I've used both these hops & for me they would work well together - complementing each other rather than killing or blunting.
I'd definitely go with a separate bittering hop - maybe Magnum as suggested, or something similar, perhaps Warrior.
Save the 25g of early-addition Citra/Nelson and use them for extra flavour or dry-hop!

I've done nelson cascade and citra and that was lovely, but I agree use a neutral bittering hop like magnum or warrior the citra in the boil will be too much to get the best from the nelson and citra later additions

Back