Citra...does this look OK?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave1970

Landlord.
Reaction score
Wanting to make something similar to Oakham Ale's Citra, only a bit stronger...'cos I always like it stronger.
Tried a bottle of this the other day, and SWMBO who's normally a lager/cider girl liked it too so I'm thinking I can curry favour by brewing it and make a beer I like at the same time...winner :thumb:

I'm pretty happy with the grain content here. The label said barley and wheat malt hence the wheat.

The bit I'm not sure about is the amount of Citra to use. The original isn't a subtle beer, fairly full on citra taste but I don't want it to end up undrinkably grapefruity.

Any comments welcome

Citra

Original Gravity (OG): 1.061 (°P): 15.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol (ABV): 5.99 %
Colour (SRM): 9.6 (EBC): 18.8
Bitterness (IBU): 61.0 (Average)

5.5 kg Maris Otter Malt
0.5 kg Wheat Malt
0.2 kg Carapils (Dextrine)
0.15 kg Crystal 120

30g Citra (15% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
20g Citra (15% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
30g Citra (15% Alpha) @ end of boil, steep for 20 mins
20g Citra (15% Alpha) dry hop

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Dave1970 said:
Wanting to make something similar to Oakham Ale's Citra, only a bit stronger...'cos I always like it stronger.
Tried a bottle of this the other day, and SWMBO who's normally a lager/cider girl liked it too so I'm thinking I can curry favour by brewing it and make a beer I like at the same time...winner :thumb:

I'm pretty happy with the grain content here. The label said barley and wheat malt hence the wheat.

The bit I'm not sure about is the amount of Citra to use. The original isn't a subtle beer, fairly full on citra taste but I don't want it to end up undrinkably grapefruity.

Any comments welcome

Citra

Bitterness (IBU): 61.0 (Average)

5.5 kg Maris Otter Malt
0.5 kg Wheat Malt
0.15 kg Crystal 120

Looks like a keeper to me and by that I don't mean Brad Friedel... It will be a bit full on as Citra I find a bit domineering...I presume its for a 25 litre brew, I looked at it on Brewmate and would kick it up to 7kg of Marris Otter for a 35 litre jobby keeping the hops the same, but thats just me

Looks good. Plenty of punch!
I've got a Citra on the go at the moment - it's had about 2 weeks in the primary and I just racked to the secondary and dry hopped with more citra last night.

For 20L my recipe is:

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 92.0 %
0.35 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (39.4 EBC) Grain 2 8.0 %
15.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 19.9 IBUs
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 4 -
15.00 g Cascade [8.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 6.6 IBUs
15.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 9.9 IBUs
15.00 g Cascade [8.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
15.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 9 -
20.00 g Cascade [8.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
20.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Dave1970 said:

Any comments welcome

Citra

Bitterness (IBU): 61.0 (Average) This is going to take some maturing to take out the harshness of those IBUs

5.5 kg Maris Otter Malt
0.5 kg Wheat Malt
0.15 kg Crystal 120

I would reduce the amount of copper hops to give maybe 45 IBU
Just my personal opinion :thumb:

wot size brew was it total water ie mash /sparge etc :thumb:
also where did you get Carapils (Dextrine) from :thumb:
how long did you dry hop for :thumb:

Dave1970 said:
It came out great...as long as you like the Oakham one you'd like this one

It was a 23l litre final volume.
With my setup that meant 16.5 litres in the mash, then fly sparge until I've collected about 28l for a 60 min boil
Can't remember where the carapils came from but Copper Kettle have it...I doubt it's essential anyway, I thought it might add a bit more body and a more complex flavour.

Dry hop went in after a week of fermentation and stayed in for 10 days - ferment was at 18C

sweet cheers as soon as my stc-1000 gets here that will be my nxt brew :D :thumb:

i thought about doing it with a London Ale Yeast WLP013 wot do you think :thumb:

I'm sure it'd be a decent beer with any yeast but I'd stick with the US-05, it's the yeast of choice for a lot of highly hopped brews because it gives a clean taste itself allowing the hops to shine through. The London Ale yeast is going to produce more flavours of its own that might conflict with the hops.

If you want to go for a liquid yeast then WY1056 (American Ale Yeast) or WLP001 (California Ale Yeast) would be more obvious choices

Carapils is great for a light ale, darker beers have malt complexity and can use adjuncts, but carapils gives a considerable head and body addition keeping things light and simple. It's a staple for my light beers :)

cheers ill stick with US-05 :thumb:

just been in to my 2 local b & m bargings all sold out of oakham citra :evil: :cry: :cry:

was at my local home brew club on wednesday i did take a bottle there they said its one of the best bottle beer in a long time :thumb: :D

Dave1970 said:
I'm sure it'd be a decent beer with any yeast but I'd stick with the US-05, it's the yeast of choice for a lot of highly hopped brews because it gives a clean taste itself allowing the hops to shine through. The London Ale yeast is going to produce more flavours of its own that might conflict with the hops.

If you want to go for a liquid yeast then WY1056 (American Ale Yeast) or WLP001 (California Ale Yeast) would be more obvious choices

Thinking about it & checking my Brewmate notes, I would reduce the grains a bit on this...I missed my target efficiency on this one, not sure why, I haven't on others. I think the shorter boil is partly responsible.

I ended up with 23l @ 1054 BUT the US05 is a big attenuator so it came all the way down to 1009 giving me 6% Alcohol. If I had hit 1061 i could have ended up with a 6.9% monster! Maybe brew as the recipe and dilute if the gravity is too high?

Latest posts

Back