clear after boil, cloudy after primary. Normal?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakk_P

Reaction score
Hey guys, Last saturday I brewed my first all-grain, http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=39913

Everything went perfect and I reached all targets according to beer smith.

I pitched with US-05 yeast at 20'C 10 days ago, with a SG of 1.052.

I used a protofloc tab at 15min, and crashed cooled to 20'c. This was the Clarity of the wort straight from the boiler:

7Thr7OVl.jpg

Now after 10 days in the FV the SG has dropped to a constant 1.008, which is lower than the 1.012 I was expecting. I have noticed though that the samples I have taken have seemed pretty cloudy, especially when compared to my orignal post boil wort;

CtzcKLMl.jpg

Is this just yeast that needs to settle? or could something have gone wrong?

I have tasted the sample and it is fantastic! An incredible difference to kit beers.

Also, I was planning on transferring it to the barrel tomorrow. The recipe called for 10 days, and it has had a steady SG over the last few days. Will this be ok to do so? or shall I wait a while longer until it starts to clear up?

Thanks,

Jack

Yes you have a population of billions of yeast cells living in the beer. You need to get them to drop out now. Just leave it and they will settle to the bottom. You can aid clearing by putting it on a cold concrete floor or somewhere cool. It will probably take 5-7 days to clear once fermentation has stopped.

:thumb:

Ah right this is what I thought, thanks for the advice. I have a brew fridge so I can just drop the temp. Shall I cool it in the FV now or once it's in the barrel? Also what temp would be best?

Thanks.

I find that even the most 'cloudy' of beers can be cleared at 5c over 5-7 days. It may be that the malt is causing the hazyness also ph in the mash can cause the final brew to be cloudy but with out going in to the details which I will probably misquote clearing in the fridge works fine for me.

D

Cheers Darcey. So I'm thinking of barreling it tomorrow, then leave it at 20'c for a couple of days to carbonate, then drop the temp to 5'c for about a week. If I was to then raise the temp back up to around 14'c to drink would the cloudiness return?

Thanks.

You wanna leave for a couple of weeks rather than days to carb. Once clear u need to not really move it too much otherwise you could kick the sediment into suspension again

Hey wigwam, Well I like quite a low level of carbonation, even out of the FV at the moment I like the carb level, I usually let it sit in the barrel for about 3-5 days at 20'c then cool it to 14'c in brew fridge, where I store it until I start the next batch. The carb level has always been satisfactory. As it's in the brew fridge as well I never need to move it around if I need to change temp. Im just wondering how the temperature effects the clarity of the brew, and whether it will become cloudy again if I raise temp to 14'c after having kept it at 5'c for about a week.

Thanks.

It shouldn't affect clarity crash cooling just helps to drop the sediment out raising the temp after doesn't reverse that effect

Ok Brilliant, Thanks for the help mate! I'm going to carbonate it for a week this time as well, see how it comes out.

:cheers:

You're best letting it carb for at leat a week as you could be left with some residual sweetness from the priming sugar if not left for long enough before chilling...hope it turns out well for ya!!!

I would strongly recommend 2 full weeks in secondary - even in our airing cupboard at 24 degrees it needs a full fortnight.

Thanks for the Links brewtim ill have a listen now. I'll try and give it 2 weeks in secondary but something tells me that after a week I will just be sitting staring at the brew fridge, and it will only be a matter of time before I give in. :D

I'll let you guys know how it turns out anyway, the samples I've been testing have tasted lovely, so fingers crossed it'll taste even better in 2 weeks!!

Thanks,

Jack.

Jakk_P said:
Thanks for the Links brewtim ill have a listen now. I'll try and give it 2 weeks in secondary but something tells me that after a week I will just be sitting staring at the brew fridge, and it will only be a matter of time before I give in. :D

I'll let you guys know how it turns out anyway, the samples I've been testing have tasted lovely, so fingers crossed it'll taste even better in 2 weeks!!

Thanks,

Jack.

Those podcasts do get a little in-depth and technical, it's all good stuff though, by the end you'll be wanting a freezer so you can cold crash to -1c :ugeek:

i seemed to have suffered this on my latest biab ,
a golden ale , marris otter,pale malt and 150g 0f fuggles,

it tastes great from a keg but its really cloudy..i wonder if its because it was no chilled and is a protein haze... :hmm:
im not overly bothered as its a great beer,

bizarrely
i did a snpa the same way and it came out crystal clear...?.... :wha:

Hey guys,

Right, I gave the beer a week to carbonate, then the idea was to give it another week to condition at about 8'c. Well I gave it the week carbonation, but upon returning from a BBQ with 2 drunkards in tow we decided, with whatever brain cells we had left, that it tasted fine and was ready to drink. The beer had cleared rather well, though was still slightly murky, the night went on and I think I must have 'lost' about 15 pints.

Anyway, once I had slept for a few days I decided to drop the temp to 8'c and let it sit for another week. I took a sample a few days after and the beer was extremely cloudy, I'm guessing I had a chill haze, I raised the temp back to 14'c and have left it alone since. Now I have poured a glass today and it has once again cleared though with some cloudiness remaining;

(pic looks cloudier than it is)

g2N2bYL.jpg

Now the thing is, upon tasting it again with a sober palette, It seems to have lost all of its 'maltyness' that it had out of the fermenter. Also, I feel like I still have that 'homebrew twang' that I had hoped to have lost upon my transfer from kits to all-grain, any ideas what could have caused this?

As I've said before I use a brew fridge so I don't think it is to do with temps, also I'm rather anal about cleaning and stuff.

Could the haze in the beer still be yeast? could this be what is causing the off-flavour?

Either way I'm happy to drink it now and start my next batch on monday, Which I am planning to be a Pale malt and Goldings SMASH bitter.

So cheers :cheers:

Jack.

Latest posts

Back