CO2 Canisters and longevity

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bilhound

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to install all that is required into my 'beer fridge/kergerator' build - but have yet to purchase the canister.

There's a lot of options out there, from the 250g canisters (available from the local homebrew shop), all the way up to the full size pub style canisters. If I tried hard enough, I could probably get my hands on the mammoth, but more than likely I'll go for the KegKingdom refurbed 2kg canister.

Has anyone used a 2kg canister in a kegerator - did it need refilling often? Purchasing the canister isn't an issue, for me it's the refilling that'll be a bit of a faff.

I know there's the obvious 'depends how often you use it' argument, but I'm looking for a little more data to go on. Eg, rough number of full kegs per kilo of CO2 - if anyone has ever managed to work it out!

Thanks in advance

Had a 1.5 kg to start with and lasted a few months with a lot lost by my faffing about with it.now got a pub size one 6.35 kg and expect it to last for at least a year but then it depends on how often you sup the amber nectre,so how long is a price of string as they say

Had a 1.5 kg to start with and lasted a few months with a lot lost by my faffing about with it.now got a pub size one 6.35 kg and expect it to last for at least a year but then it depends on how often you sup the amber nectre,so how long is a price of string as they say

So how much do you run through it? Are you a keg a month man or more? Keen to know whether it's worth the effort to start getting cheeky with the local (who'll wonder where I've been since the homebrewing started! :lol:)

So how much do you run through it? Are you a keg a month man or more? Keen to know whether it's worth the effort to start getting cheeky with the local (who'll wonder where I've been since the homebrewing started! :lol:)
Run 3 cornies and 2 king kegs and would admit to guzzling a cornie easily in less than 3 weeks,but as I don't run a keezer( use a pygmy flash cooler,the dogs doodahs) I suppose I use more CO2,could be wrong though

If you live within a 50 mile radius of the smoke there's a thread on here that points you to a company that delivers the CO2 very cheap without rental of the bottle

There is information as to how much beer can be pumped per cylinder on the Adams Gas website. I have a 3.15kg cylinder which they reckon will last for 75 gallons. This seems a heck of a lot and I'm not convinced but as I've only had mine for 2 kegs worth I will reserve judgement. You need to consider how much you will use cleaning lines/kegs and force carbonating as well. Kegging is definitely the way to go though.:thumb:

Cheers, will have a hunt for that one.
here you go matey seeing as you may fall within their delivery area I have dug it out for you but be aware they do have a 50 mile delivery radious from their depo as I did speak to them by phone.they do have other outlets but it seems that different depos have different rules and prices for dealing with the general public and I believe they will sort you a 6.5KG bottle for around �£15 with no rental and delivery.how amazing is that :-o?.in the end I found an adams gas outlet called neon Auto(Sutton coalfield) and stumped up ���£50 rental (redeemable) on the bottle 6.5kg with a refill cost of ���£22 so im not too unhappy should it last me a year :thumb:

http://www.aldd.co.uk/

here you go matey seeing as you may fall within their delivery area I have dug it out for you but be aware they do have a 50 mile delivery radious from their depo as I did speak to them by phone.they do have other outlets but it seems that different depos have different rules and prices for dealing with the general public and I believe they will sort you a 6.5KG bottle for around ��£15 with no rental and delivery.how amazing is that :-o?.in the end I found an adams gas outlet called neon Auto(Sutton coalfield) and stumped up ����£50 rental (redeemable) on the bottle 6.5kg with a refill cost of ����£22 so im not too unhappy should it last me a year :thumb:

http://www.aldd.co.uk/

Thanks for this - I've sent them an e-mail but will call later if I haven't heard. I can't believe that price, how is it even possible?

All ordered - e-mail convo followed by an invoice for £16.74 for a 6.5kg CO2 delivered on Thurs. Unbelievable - considering the popular websites are charging £60+ for canisters 1/3 of the size! Nice one godsdog - pretty sure you've saved me a packet!

All ordered - e-mail convo followed by an invoice for £16.74 for a 6.5kg CO2 delivered on Thurs. Unbelievable - considering the popular websites are charging £60+ for canisters 1/3 of the size! Nice one godsdog - pretty sure you've saved me a packet!
My pleasure matey,just a pity I couldn't get them to deliver a distance of 120 miles

Pub size is definitely best option. I have smaller ones, like a 2kg fire extinguisher, to stand-in when the 6.35kg cylinder runs out. I get the pub cylinders from a cash and carry, so a small cylinder stands-in until I can get to the c&c for a refill. They empty quite quickly.
My 6.35kg cylinder connects 2 kegs, and is used to pressurise kegs to clean and rinse beer lines. The one I exchanged a few weeks ago lasted 19 months. At ��£18 a refill, that's <��£1 a month for CO2 - not a big expense :).
My suggest is to gas-up your kegs when you're pouring, then turn-off the cylinder. Unknown leaks can occur, such as connecting or re-connecting a keg, maybe a small piece of grit prevents a good seal, or a pipe dislodges from a push-fit by 1mm or so. Not noticeable until the cylinder empties very quickly. Been there, done that, won't be doing it again.
Cheers,
Chris

My pleasure matey,just a pity I couldn't get them to deliver a distance of 120 miles

I'm 90+ miles away so it was a bit of a punt - they just told me that they were in the area on Thursday (I'd tried a different day but that was the only way they could do it!)

May be worth another shot?

GD - the cash and carry I use has a W Midlands branch - Rabone Lane, Smethwick, Birmingham B66 3JH 0121 558 1529. Website http://www.eastendersplc.co.uk/ It's £28 for your first cylinder (£10 deposit is returnable) then £18 a refill. If you can get to Smethwick, maybe worth a try?
Cheers,
Chris

GD - the cash and carry I use has a W Midlands branch - Rabone Lane, Smethwick, Birmingham B66 3JH 0121 558 1529. Website http://www.eastendersplc.co.uk/ It's £28 for your first cylinder (£10 deposit is returnable) then £18 a refill. If you can get to Smethwick, maybe worth a try?
Cheers,
Chris
Is that for a 6.5KG matey?
Just rang them and unfortunately you have to be vat registered so I know no way around that, are you vat registered airy?

I get mine from Runcorn Hydroponics. No idea what weight the cylinder is but it's about 3.5ft tall... :)
The last one cost me £20 (no deposit) and lasted me at least 18 months in my 3 corny setup.

DA

Is that for a 6.5KG matey?
Just rang them and unfortunately you have to be vat registered so I know no way around that, are you vat registered airy?
No GD, not VAT registered. I first drove to my local branch, but turned away, discouraged by all the 'business supply only' notices. They're a fags and booze c&c, so don't sell to the public. I later phoned them, and advised them I just wanted a CO2 cylinder, nothing else. They advised that was no prob - just turn-up and pay cash, no account, minimum spend etc needed.

Sounds like they treated your enquiry as a general one. It's understandable that they won't compete with their own business customers by selling to the public, and didn't understand that you just want a (6.35kg) gas cylinder.
Cheers,
Chris

No GD, not VAT registered. I first drove to my local branch, but turned away, discouraged by all the 'business supply only' notices. They're a fags and booze c&c, so don't sell to the public. I later phoned them, and advised them I just wanted a CO2 cylinder, nothing else. They advised that was no prob - just turn-up and pay cash, no account, minimum spend etc needed.

Sounds like they treated your enquiry as a general one. It's understandable that they won't compete with their own business customers by selling to the public, and didn't understand that you just want a (6.35kg) gas cylinder.
Cheers,
Chris
was it the Smethwick branch airy as I may try again when my cylinder runs out :smile:

Latest posts

Back