CO2 Regulator thread sealant (gas leak)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenno

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've recently purchased a set of the Shako regulators that @peebee highly recommends. I have set up however when testing by pressurising and then isolating the regulator it is losing approximately 3psi over 24 hours. I have sprayed with soapy water and can't find any leaks but as it seems to be a slow leak probably not surprising. I am supposing I need to disassemble and apply a thread sealant to the gauge and grub screw but as it is between plastic and metal wanted to ask what everyone recommends (or if there is any other reasons why the pressure isn't holding?)

Thanks Jenno

Oh that;s interesting! if that's the case I wonder if I could use loctite 567 which I've got on hand.

Also I am right in thinking that the regulator should hold pressure and not drop right?

Oh that;s interesting! if that's the case I wonder if I could use loctite 567 which I've got on hand.

Also I am right in thinking that the regulator should hold pressure and not drop right?
Loctite!!!! Definitely not.
Check the plastic washer is seated correctly as some have a fine seat, failing that use some ptfe which you shouldn't need really if it's a quality regulator. You can also use liquid ptfe if you can get it... But if it is leaking I would be looking for a refund or replacement.

Definitely sure - I just have the tubing incoming from the primary reg (all leak tested and primary reg holds pressure for 24 hours) and a stop valve and plug on the outlet of the secondary reg.

I've broken down the reg and tried some Fernox LSX on the gauge and grub screw and waiting for that to dry for 24 hours (just to make sure) and then going to retest. I haven't put any sealant on the inlet and outlet as they are the JG fittings with the o'ring seals.

That's my first thought of where it could be leaking so will see how the jointing compound goes and if no luck will grab some of the yellow ptfe tape.

I've broken down the reg and tried some Fernox LSX
I’ve had good results from Fernox LS-X for curing stubborn liquid leaks that PTFE doesn’t work. If you’re convinced you have a leak, don’t assume anything and suspect everything. Soapy water spray every connection from cylinder to keg connector....IMHO...athumb..

How about Hylomar gasket sealant? Non setting fully. Used it on a plastic tap in the motorhome worked a treat

Latest posts

Back