Cobbled HERMS - 1st brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your off the mark Jim :clap:
Springer made a good point, don't attempt to start the recirc immediately after doughing in, let the mash rest for 10 minutes before recircing.

That's not what I meant ev, and this is just my personal preference, but

If you have a HERMS/RIMS system why heat up the mash liquor in the HLT / then transfer to mash tun guessing at the heat loss involved due to heating the tun up :wha:

Why not just put the right amount of mash liquor in the mash tun, set the HERMS pid to strike temp, and set the pid and pump to come on at a set time, result being a pre heated tun/pipework and HE, with water to strike temp and no guessing or losses of heat to system.

I used to heat in the HLT and transfer to tun, but no more, as it seems like an extra step that's just not required.

evanvine said:
The 18 year old EDME yeast (my last sachet) was pitched at 22:00 04/01/2011.
It fired up to day at 16:00. :D

wow - did you get a big bulk cheap buy back 18years ago or find it somewhere :lol:

rickthebrew said:
wow - did you get a big bulk cheap buy back 18years ago or find it somewhere :lol:
I've not been achieving the results I used to, in those days I always used EDME dried yeast.
So I have gone back to basics (aren't records wonderful!).
The sachet I used was the last from these great days.
I agree, using a HERMS, doesn't fit with the above statement :oops:
Just noticed, on the yeast packet it says 27p :shock:

Latest posts

Back