Coffee wine with Guarana!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wine usually takes weeks. i'd probably say 3 weeks odd with that fermentation rate though. give it all the time it needs though - oldbloke reakons racking every 4 weeks is a good way to work, I'm inclined to agree.

Been a while since I updated this. Finally stopped the fermentation 2 weeks ago and let it settle, then racked it twice and filtered. Here is the end result:

425650_4870734173587_1832539428_n.jpg

Backsweetened with 60g demerera in 100ml water, final gravity was 1010... giving an ABV of 13.2.

Taste? You can definitely taste the coffee in it! The wife likened it to a sherry or port type of drink. Dunno how much of the caffeine or guarana extract made it through, but it's an interesting beverage. Definitely a sipper as opposed to a downer :lol:

I love coffee so will try this once I've got some bottles.free!

Did you use instant or ground coffee? Would have thought the coffee flavour would come stronger from ground?

I used instant coffee; half of it was Percol Rocket Fuel. Can't remember exact quantities, but recipe is in the first post :)

Cheers Andy. I read the recipie but wasnt sure on that point. Something to try in the new year!

Mine didn't clear too well on its own. I was in two minds as to whether it was meant to clear fully, I couldn't find any info to say one way out the other... normal coffee couldn't really be described as clear after all.

So after two weeks (and a bit against the clock on Christmas Eve seeing as I'd promised it to the family on Christmas Day), I bit the bullet and sacrificed a Vinbrite filter. That's what came out... eventually lol

Will probably have a go at making this tomorrow. Looks good to me. Will decide wether to filter or not though. :)

oldbloke said:
Didn't need to filter mine. Give it plenty of time and it should be OK.

I think I'll do that. Just leave it to take its own time to clear.

BrotherMalice said:
Mines been on since august, how long should I leave it?

Well. If its clear and you happy with it. Bottle it. Otherwise leave it a few more months... If you can wait lol.

Just started mine yesterday using one type of coffee and no vanilla essence as I didn't have any. Bubbling away vigorously at the moment, so all looks good to me :)

been thinking about tweaking this recipe by adding some Monin coffee syrups to the wine. Just wondering what you guys think?

I have a few small bottles that SWMBO got months ago and seemed to never really bother with them... so in the brew cupboard they have gone. I like the idea of the hazelnut or caramel but im not sure how much to use, if they can be used (the second picture is of the ingredients) and also at what stage of the brewing process i should add them

ehahave2.jpg

ytuse8u8.jpg

Do you think its something that could be pulled off?

ish1349 said:
Just started mine yesterday using one type of coffee and no vanilla essence as I didn't have any. Bubbling away vigorously at the moment, so all looks good to me :)

May be better to add the vanilla near the end anyway

tbert33 said:
been thinking about tweaking this recipe by adding some Monin coffee syrups to the wine. Just wondering what you guys think?

I have a few small bottles that SWMBO got months ago and seemed to never really bother with them... so in the brew cupboard they have gone. I like the idea of the hazelnut or caramel but im not sure how much to use, if they can be used (the second picture is of the ingredients) and also at what stage of the brewing process i should add them
Do you think its something that could be pulled off?

Some of them list E202 as a preservative - that's potassium sorbate, which will not play nicely with yeast. You may be able to boil it off, but what's that going to do to the rest of the ingredients? If you add it at the end, though, with a Campden, it's effectively a wine stabiliser.
Other than that, a good mug of coffee is getting on for half a litre, so you want about 9 doses of the syrup to a gallon I reckon.

oldbloke said:
ish1349 said:

May be better to add the vanilla near the end anyway

In that case I might add it towards the end. Fermentation has stopped now. Thinking to transfer to another demijohn on the weekend. Should i put the essence in it then and give it a swirl?

Yeh, ought to work. I'd probably drop the essence into the vessel you're rackign into first, so the turbulence of the incoming wine does the mixing for you.

I started a Coffee Wine Saturday afternoon.

Used a kilo of Muscavado Sugar, and cheap Sainsburys Coffee grounds, 'brewed up' 2 saucepans worth for a few minutes and let cool (was like a volcano when bringing to the boil).

Then realised I had gold coffee filter in the loft, steralised it, put that in some muslin, poured it into my funnel, into the demi john, topped up and poured the water through the coffee grounds, added a touch of tanin, took a reading, very low gravity so added around half a kilo of dissolved sugar (All that I had available), got it to around 1.1, added what I had left of pure vanilla essence (Hope the other half doesn't try making cakes)

My god, was going to call it 'Caffeine Bomb' then seeing it in the Demi John 'Black Beauty' it was looking like obsidian in the glass but now the way its fermenting, 'Rocket Fuel' may be more apt!!

Sounded like a radiator had sprung a leak the way the airlock was going, and sat it in a small fermentation bucket just in case.

Smells amazing though, an amazingly good coffee smell

Latest posts

Back