Conniston Bluebird Clone but with Kveik opshaug.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I thought I'd go for a basic brew and used 3kg Maris Otter 170g caramalt and 100g challenger hops
25g at 60 25g at 15 and 50g for a 15 min hop stand.
Fermentation was using one whitelabs wlp518 which I have made a starter. Pressure fermented after 24 hours at 10 psi
Anyway fermentation was off within an hour and nearly done within 24.
I left it 6 days and then cold crashed and fined.
Kegged it today.
Seems and easy drinking bitter but tastes a bit like marmite. Seriously.
Never used a kveik before or challenger what can I expect as it ages?? Plenty drinkable but not the taste I was expecting.

Opshaug my house kveik, I find it very clean usually ferment around 30 c, double nutrients 'nd oxygenate. Use pressure early for lager and late for most others to spund to full pressure.
I don't make a starter either just put about 4cm X 4cm of dried flake from freezer straight in.

Seems and easy drinking bitter but tastes a bit like marmite. Seriously.
Marmite implies autolysis - dead yeast have spilled their guts. I guess you left the yeast for 6x the fermentation time, which would normally lead to autolytic flavours in a normal fermentation. Maybe enhanced by the yeast being stressed in some way - kveik don't like worts of <1.060 or so without extra nutrients to support their rapid fermentation.

But I wouldn't use kveik for trad British beers, the right yeast flavour is just too important to the overall balance of the beer, and kveik just don't taste right. Th bottled version of Bluebird is brewed at Hepworth's with their house yeast, which is derived from Brakspear.

Tried it again last night and the marmite is not as prominent and bitterness coming through.
Tbh I used Kviek as a bit of fun / experiment. Think given time it might be a decent beer. It can't remember exactly but we started at about 1.030 ish.
If I was truly cloning Conniston I would have gone for as near as possible. This was also my first dabble into liquid yeast, starters and crushing my own grain. Overall can't complain.

Latest posts

Back