Coopers One Can Kit Recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
METHOD #3

1. Mix the cracked grains with about 1 litre of water and bring to the boil.
2. Boil gently for 20 minutes then add the hop pellets and turn the heat off at the same time. Let
the hot mixture stand for about 10 minutes.

I have the second link bookmarked. I still have a few kits ,( not Coopers but sure others will adapt ok )to get through and i like the look of the Robo Choc which is listed in with the stout's:)

I have the second link bookmarked. I still have a few kits ,( not Coopers but sure others will adapt ok )to get through and i like the look of the Robo Choc which is listed in with the stout's:)

The second link is my goto whenever a forumite asks, 'how do I make X recipe/a beer that tastes like Y with a kit'

So for method 3 , if you don't boil it, is it just a 30min steep in boiled water with a hop addition after 20mins?

But don't boil grains as in Method 3.

Just out of interest - why don't we boil grain?

Yes, as an AG brewer I know how to do a mash and how critical it is to get the magic mash temp. But a LHBS round here has come up with a range of Extract kits that produce wonderful beer from 2 x LME tins and 2 muslin bags of hops, one going in at the start of the boil and the other 10mins from the end. He did this to produce a simple repeatable process that wouldn't require much brewing knowledge. I've since found out that with some of his kits the bags contain grain as well as hops, presumably more for colour than fermentables content...but this sounds familiar to the Coopers recipe, and it does work.

Just out of interest - why don't we boil grain?
My understanding is that boiling grain will extract tannins from the grain solids which will give the wort an unwanted bitter taste. That's why you sparge your mashed grain with water at 75-80*C, since tannins are, apparently, not extracted at these lower temperatures.
So although the quantities of grain in the Coopers recipes are small, it ain't worth taking the risk when other methods of achieving a similar result are available.

I've been looking through these recipes, as they seem to be a natural progression from the beer kits I'm making at the moment.

The problem with the second link is that for the beers I've been looking it, I can't seem to find the ingredients. For example this one: http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/116/

Where can I get 1.3kg of Bewitched Amber Ale?

Or from this one: http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/103/

Where can I get Robust Malt extract and Smooth Malt Extract?

Are these items only available in Australia?

The items from the first link in the OP seem to be easy to find though.

Any suggestions on what kit to use to get as close to a Punk IPA (with dry hopping) as possible? I was thinking a Coopers IPA but wonder if it may be a little dark for a Punk replica?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Any suggestions on what kit to use to get as close to a Punk IPA (with dry hopping) as possible? I was thinking a Coopers IPA but wonder if it may be a little dark for a Punk replica?

can't help you there mate but if you fall back to the coopers plan let me know how it turns out. Rem there's the muntons extra light DME which looks a perfect match for the above kit

I would not use a Coopers IPA kit as a basis for what you want to achieve, it's not at all suitable in my opinion. And its now discontinued from Coopers range so any kits you buy will be old stock.
If you want to use a Coopers kit to try to emulate a Punk IPA, Coopers now do a kit called Thomas Coopers Brew A IPA which is supposed to be an American IPA type and is now available in the UK. I have one in my store but not tried it yet. You could try this or their Australian Pale Ale and dry hop with say 100g or more of Cascade, Chinook, or Simcoe or a mix of these.

Terrym has said what I was going to suggest; the Australian Pale Ale as a basis and add some chinook, ahtanum (or a bit less cascade), simcoe, amarillo and nelson sauvin. Use US05 instead of the kit yeast too.

Just finished brewing. Recipe as follows:

1 can of Coopers Draught
500g of Munton's Light DME
1kg of Munton's Beer Enhancer
Pitched with Safale US-05 yeast

SG 1.052, hoping it'll finish at 1.010 for approx 5.5% ABV.

Will dry hop in a couple of weeks with 50g Cascade, 50g Citra and something else (thinking Amarillo or Centennial, but open to options!!)

I did something similar last year, with the Draught, Citra and Cascade. But trying the different yeast and LME to see how it changes/improves. Same with the third hop addition too. I'll leave the Punk IPA attempt until next time...

As an addition to the above I opted for Galaxy as I think the citrussyness (definitely a word) will complement the Citra and Cascade.

Quite excited about it as it's the first brew in a while!! :D

Latest posts

Back