Coopers Real Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beginner

Reaction score
Hello all,

On my third brew at the moment which is a Cooper's real ale kit, everything started off well with an SG of 1042, with a lively 48 hours of activity in the fv, but then it seemed to pretty much stop. So on the third day i had a look in the fv and it was pretty quiet, with a gravity reading of 1022., i then gave the wort a gentle stir and replaced the lid. The following day i took another reading and although the gravity had dropped to 1016 their seemed to be no activety going on.

My question is should i leave it alone or should i maybe pitch another yeast or even some yeast nutrient?

Cheers,

Jeff

relax let the beasties do their thang. 10 days is a good length for fermentation. 6 to finish, 4 to clear up after themselves the messy pups.

Cheers for reply Prolix, was just a bit concerned the way it's slowed to a virtual stop.

I will leave it and see if it ferments out then. :thumb:

Just checked gravity and it's 1020, so my previous reading of 1016 must have been a misread as it's definately 1020 now. :hmm:

On lookng inside the fv they doesn't seem to be any activity, so i've shot some 'yeast nutrient' in, and gave it a little stir. I would of pitched a yeast restart in, but i hav'nt got any apart from 'youngs super wine yeast'.

I've got my fingers crossed hoping my brew can recover. :pray:

rouse it a little, give the brew a gentle stir, try not to introduce to much air by agitation, just a gentle rousing will do

After checking it tonight, it's down to 1015, and thats virtually eight days in fv.

Do you think it would be benificial to drop it into another fv, i was thinking about dropping a bag of hops in there as well... or would it be better leaving it where it is for a few more days?

Cheers.

Well i checked the gravity this morning and no change, so decided to rack into another fv with some hops. Once i'd done this i tried a sample :sick:, and it had tart off taste, and was also very cloudy.

I'm thinking i may have lost this one :( , although i'd tried to do everything per instructions.

Thanks for your advice Jack, but on this occasion the rousing didn't seem to have any effect.

Anyone any final thoughts/ideas before it goes on my garden. :?

Cheers, Jeff.

Mine was the same mate dont panic.
Like me i think if you have done coopers aussie lager which bubbled away for days you expect the same of all the brews which isnt case.

Right i finished up using that batch as fertiliser for the shrubs!

But onwards and upwards :thumb: , i have started another 'Coopers real ale' and it has been fermenting happily for over a week now with the gravity down to 1009 and it seems to be about done fermenting.

I need a little help with 'dry hopping' please :D .

My query is can i drop my bag of hops straight into my primary fv, or is it really neccessary to rack it into another fv to add my hops, and when adding hops is it better to add a weight to bag so that it sinks?

Cheers Jeff.

Well i just dropped my hops in my primary fv, although theirs still the odd bubble coming up and gravity at 1009, would the addition of the hops at this stage inhibit full fermentation?

cheers Jeff.

Latest posts

Back