Coriander and Lemon Grass

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DixeySJ

Reaction score
I'm want to try adding some coriander (as seed) and lemon grass stalks to my basic Citra based pale ale. I don't want to overwhelm it, just add something in the background. I think Hopback brewery did something like this, called Taiphoon. Has anyone used these adjuncts and if so, when - and how much - are they best added? In absence of any other info, my thought is to use about 15g coriander seeds and a couple of bashed lemon grass stalks at the 15 min boil stage (I'll be doing a small 12L test batch). The grain bill is MO with 10% Munich, moderately hopped with Citra - that works fine as it stands, this is just an experimental variant.

I'm going to brew a saison today, based on a recipe by Jon Finch. It uses 20g of coriander seeds in a 19L batch. Scaling down, that would be approx 12g in a 12L batch. There are obviously personal tastes and saison is a different style, so this is just to give you a comparison. This will be my first brew using additions like this so I'm no expert and I'm sure someone else will offer more concrete advice.

Sounds helpful. Rather use too little than too much, it'll still be drinkable if I can't taste it!

I’ve used both but not in the same beer.

I use coriander in saisons. For a 20 litre batch, 12-15g crushed, added to the boil at 5 minutes. Out of the fermenter it’s fairly strong, at 4-6 weeks it’s nicely mellowed.

Lemon grass was used in an IPA. I finely chopped 4 stalks and added them to the fermenter at the start of fermentation (on the same day I pitched the yeast). This gave a nice flavour that persisted but wasn’t strong. I also suspect it helped to keep the beer fresh and have since learned it’s an antioxidant. 😉

That's helpful, I like the idea of putting the lemon grass in the fermenter rather than the boil. With these two comments I feel I have a plan coming together ....

I can't speak from experience here...

I've used coriander seeds, but only once (in a Witbier) and that was right at the start of my brewing career...

But as @Hazelwood Brewery says, my instinct would have been to use the lemon grass more like a dry hop than in the boil...

The other thought I had was to make a lemon grass tincture - essentially steep it in vodka (I think) and then add it at packaging or even a few drops at serving to gauge it.

They've done this a few times recently on Basic Brewing Radio with citrus fruits, and also chillies.

I like the tincture idea. I've done that with the spice mix for my Christmas brews. Hard to think about that in the current heatwave !!

I've used coriander in wheat beer and a summer ale, nice with some bitter dried orange peel too.
I used about 12 g too in a muslin hop sock in last 5 mins of boil and 30 whirlpool.
Not used the lemon grass though so I'll follow your progress with interest thumb.

Latest posts

Back