Corny help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would depend on which disconnects you get, you can get ones with a screw thread that will take a barb fitting or a screw on JG fitting. You can also get them with just a barb.
I've just fitted out my 4 keg fridge with the barb type and they seal fine with no need for any jubilee clips or the like. Buying JG fittings is just more expense that you could otherwise spend on grain and hops.

Thanks for all the help i know i keep asking but 1 last question. How would i go about using the sodastream co2 bottles any links to converters would be great. Again thanks
Alex

That would depend on which disconnects you get, you can get ones with a screw thread that will take a barb fitting or a screw on JG fitting. You can also get them with just a barb.
I've just fitted out my 4 keg fridge with the barb type and they seal fine with no need for any jubilee clips or the like. Buying JG fittings is just more expense that you could otherwise spend on grain and hops.

Issue i have with barb type connectors is that your working with up to 2-2 1/2 bar of pressure (short time granted) and potential of movement of kegs whilst beer/gas lines are attached, the screw on JG adaptors are a much better guarantee of a secure joint, even if the keg gets knocked over at any point. For the sake of an extra few quid i'd rather have the piece of mind and know that 19l of beer isn't going to need mopped up.

You've only got the 2 1/2 bar for sealing unless you're going for quick forced carb. it's unlikely to fall over while yer doing that and even if it did it would take a hellafa pull to get the hose off. I've tried to get the hose back off and even tugging with pliers it wont budge, I had to resort to a Stanley knife to cut the end off the barb. Granted the screw type with the JG connection will be far more secure but it probably a case of overkill. You could use a jubilee clip with the barb just to be sure but I honestly don't think you need them, if you use the correct size hose on them.
It all boils down to what you feel happiest with.

Hose Experiment N°1
I've only got one keg operation just now and it's about 3/4 full. I've pick it up by the gas hose and shock it a bit and it just dangled there with no sign of the hose coming off. The hose is one off them cheap airline hoses with the spring shape retainers at the ends. It's a very tight fit on the barb and needs heating up to get it on, once it cools down it on there for good. The beer hose has clips on it as it's a slightly bigger diameter

Last edited:
Hi chaps,

As this seems to be the corny keg equipment thread.

Im looking for taps for my cornies that i would drill holes in the front of the fridge and screw the taps directly onto the fridge door and serve from there. Can anyone point me in that direction? Thanks!!

Im looking at purchasing a couple of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Clos...da0adf&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=10&sd=321839536101

Can i take the tap off from the disconnect and attach it via beer line? So id have the disconnect on the corny, and then beer line to the tap which would be fixed onto the front of the fridge door?

Hi chaps,

As this seems to be the corny keg equipment thread.

Im looking for taps for my cornies that i would drill holes in the front of the fridge and screw the taps directly onto the fridge door and serve from there. Can anyone point me in that direction? Thanks!!

Im looking at purchasing a couple of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Clos...da0adf&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=10&sd=321839536101

Can i take the tap off from the disconnect and attach it via beer line? So id have the disconnect on the corny, and then beer line to the tap which would be fixed onto the front of the fridge door?

Take a look at this these taps have a nice long thread on them and they are a good price, if you are quick and download the Aliexpress app you can save almost a couple of pounds
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...style-brass-material-beer-tap/1594126076.html

Wow they look mega cheap. Apologies for the noob question but will 3/8 beer line be o.k with them?

I am just setting up one like that tap that I bought a couple of weeks ago, it needs 5/16 beer line to push onto the spigot so I have decided that the way I will set mine up is with 5/16 beer line from the tap spigot held on with a jubilee clip (I need to work out how long the beer line will be to stop it frothing to much) then I will use a John Guest straight reducing coupler that is 5/16 to 3/8 so I can add a bit of 3/8 tube to fit onto my beer out disconnect

Would i be ables to get a fitting/connector to fit a paintball tank to this co2 regulator
http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=588

to fit 3/16" micro line into a 3/8" or 5/6" jg tap use a stem reducer like
http://www.stonehelm.co.uk/Equipment/BeerLineandFittings/Speedfit3/8-3/16StemReducer
or http://www.aerohydraulics.com/p-gm-...Froogle20158&gclid=CNCp45XW2McCFUFmGwodnG4Kdg

to use a tap like linked to you want to secure the beerline to the beer in barb with larger 1/2" OD line with a 3/8" id and a jubilee clip (assuming it has a 3/8" hose barb fitted??).

to fit to 3/8" Od (1/4" id) line you want a tap with a hose barb fitting 1/4" in diameter and again a hoseclip to secure.

I am just setting up one like that tap that I bought a couple of weeks ago, it needs 5/16 beer line to push onto the spigot so I have decided that the way I will set mine up is with 5/16 beer line from the tap spigot held on with a jubilee clip (I need to work out how long the beer line will be to stop it frothing to much) then I will use a John Guest straight reducing coupler that is 5/16 to 3/8 so I can add a bit of 3/8 tube to fit onto my beer out disconnect

Hey Soton,

How did this work out for you? Did you manage to keep the frothing down from the thicker beerline?

Hey Soton,

How did this work out for you? Did you manage to keep the frothing down from the thicker beerline?

I did froth a bit more but I just extended the beer line and it now works a treat. on another keg that I wanted a shorter line I just reduced it to 3/16 line

I did froth a bit more but I just extended the beer line and it now works a treat. on another keg that I wanted a shorter line I just reduced it to 3/16 line

I've just ordered 2 of these taps.

The plan is to have about 6 inches of 5/16 onto the the end of the tap. Then use a 5/16 - 3/16 reducer and have about 8 foot of beer line to the kegs.

I've just ordered 2 of these taps.

The plan is to have about 6 inches of 5/16 onto the the end of the tap. Then use a 5/16 - 3/16 reducer and have about 8 foot of beer line to the kegs.

Thats just what I did, have you ordered your taps yet as I have a Perlick type tap from here:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...-style-beer-tap-with-wahsers/32397927410.html

What ever taps you order I would advise that you take them apart and give them a good clean so as to get at the machine oil ect cleaned right out

Latest posts

Back