Could the wort be contaminated by......

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YogiB

Reaction score
AG#3 today, another mild (SG1.038). All went well. I focused on mash temp, mash liquor and boiler liquor measurements to achieve a 23 litre brew length.... All went well and there was a little over after the boil. :grin:
So, after an effective quick chill and the hop-break had settled, I began drawing the wort into my FV (25degs C). I half filled the FV, kept the lid on the Copper and switched off the tap, I then carried the FV inside.
I returned to the Copper less than a minute later. When I turned the tap on to drain more liquor into another FV................. insect wings and then the body came out of the tap into the FV.... :shock: .......this was a male earwig, quite large (1 inch length).

:x Clearly, it had tried to enter the Copper via the tap,... I say "clearly" as I assume that if it had hidden inside the hop filter (ss hose) it would have been boiled away! It was far to large and in too good a condition to have been anywhere else in the process.

I hope I have managed to remove all the earwig pieces from the wort!

I realise there's nothing I can do now but smile; yet, much effort was put into todays brew so....
I've pitched yeast and set the wort to ferment but the presence of this 'ere interloper, the male earwig, has me concerned that the wort is ruined? :evil:
Anyone set my mind at rest, or, confirm the ruination of a brewday?

**Shudder!**

I hate those things with a passion. They love constricted, dark places and that's why none of my fermenters have taps. The taps on my boiler and mash tun are opened and scalded through before use.

Your brew will probably be ok, with a bit of added protein, but I have to point out that earwigs don't have wings, and how do you sex them to know it was a male?

THanks for clarifying Moley.

Yep! I hate 'em now too! :evil:

As for wings......I didn't know they had 'em until I looked it up.

I first thought it was a Daddy-Long-Legs as it had a slim body and wings but noticed this insect had pincers on its abdomen but they don't have 'em...... I had to look closely just to see if it had swollowed any of my hard-worked for wort ( :eek: )
So, quick google: "Images + Insect + Pincers + wings"; then hey-presto.... images of earwigs. :shock:

At this stage I was pretty annoyed, and, as is human nature, sought to direct that anger in the right direction......... the female (which I thought it was as it had tried to get something for nothing (haha (joke ( honest)))) has straight pincers whilst the males's are bent (obviously from working hard ( :lol: ). So, with little real research, I sexed it "male" and posted....... I'm just peeved the little blighter got into the tap of my Buffalo!

The brewday ran rather late..... has anyone else had these or other irritating little blighters potentially ruin teir brew?

YogiB said:
Well bugger me, earwigs really DO have wings but rarely use them, AND I've learned how to sex an earwig.

I consider that any day when you don't learn something new is a day wasted, but I'm really not sure I needed to learn that.

Feckin' earwigs, and wasps, and wood lice, and Bruce Forsyth!
Why were any of them created?

Moley said:
YogiB said:
Well bugger me, earwigs really DO have wings but rarely use them, AND I've learned how to sex an earwig.

I consider that any day when you don't learn something new is a day wasted, but I'm really not sure I needed to learn that.

:lol: is that kinda thing not illegal?

abeyptfc said:
Moley said:
YogiB said:
Well bugger me.
, earwigs really DO have wings but rarely use them, AND I've learned how to sex an earwig

:lol: is that kinda thing not illegal?

No, but this is in some countries!

Moley said:
YogiB said:

Nice to see you, to see you LICE!
GOOD GAME GOOD GAME.

well they are all food for some thing
bruce will be food for all those things inside us very soon I am hoping its this year as another series of sstrictly dancing prats will kill me

I racked this brew today; no off smells, nice and clear (for a dark mild!).
I did notice several clumps of darker beige bits floating in the FV; I haven't seen this before!
Also, on top of the usual light beige coloured yeast slurry in the bottom of the FV was a thick layer of the darker beige clumps... :hmm:
What is this?

YogiB said:
Also, on top of the usual light beige coloured yeast slurry in the bottom of the FV was a thick layer of the darker beige clumps... :hmm:
What is this?

Earwig poo? :rofl:

Latest posts

Back