Couple of questions?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhendy91

Reaction score
Hi guys,once again going to call on your almighty brewing wisdom with a couple of questions.

1.I have a pilsner kit which I want to dry hop with some saz that I am currently storing in the freezer. Do I need to defrost the hops so to speak and is this best done in a hop bag or just loose?

2. I am doing my second BIAB tomorrow and am using salefe-S04, for my last brew I used windsor yeast which i re hydrated as per instructions on the back and it has been my steadiest ferment yet. Am I able/ should I rehydrate the S04 in the same manor?

3. What is the best way to clean your mash bag after use as mine is still quite dirty and I don't want this to affect the taste of my beer?

4. Has anyone done wheelers fullers discovery clone as that is what I am doing tomorrow?

Hope your all having a great weekend :cheers:

i use dry hops straight from the freezer. They dont seem to stay very cold for long because they're so dry.

I've used and rehydrated s-04 twice and its gone off like the clappers both times.

i use dry hops straight from the freezer. They dont seem to stay very cold for long because they're so dry.

I've used and rehydrated s-04 twice and its gone off like the clappers both times.

Thanks for the quick reply, do you just drop the hops in loose or do you use a hop bag?

I clean my Biab bag and my hop bags in the washing machine, obviously when swmbo is not about:D

1.Do I need to defrost the hops so to speak and is this best done in a hop bag or just loose?
No and in a muslin bag weighed down with sanitised cutlery.

2. Am I able/ should I rehydrate the S04 in the same manor?
Definitely rehydrate it... in the same manner.

3. What is the best way to clean your mash bag after use...
Boil it for 10-15 mins.

4. Has anyone done wheelers fullers discovery clone as that is what I am doing tomorrow?
Not me, sorry.

Thanks to everyone that has replied going to be getting my brew on in about an hour, just hoping this one doesn't have the tcp taste that my first AG does at the moment.....:roll:

1.yeah just sitck the hops in a muslin bag straight from freezer into the fermenter

2.I use the s04 and us05 yeasts all the time and never re-hydrate them, never had a problem with them not fermenting out or stuck fermentations.

3,you can boil it up or stick it in the washing machine, just make sure you give it a good rinse if you have put it in the washing machine as it may still smell of lenor or daz haha!

4.not done the fullers clone myself, good luck with it.

You should always rehydrate dried yeast. When you sprinkle dried yeast directly into wort, 50% will die upon first contact. This will mean you'll have under-pitched which will in turn stress the yeast leading to off flavours and a higher chance of a stuck ferment.

Yeast is arguably the most important ingredient of your beer contributing to up to 70% of the flavour. Treat it well and you will be rewarded.

Latest posts

Back