CraigTubes English Style Porter.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eezybrewer

Beer Brewers Party Member
Reaction score
I am sure that many of the members on here have, at some time, seen videos by Craig Farraway on his YouTube channel CraigTube. I am a subscriber to his channel and came across a video he did back in 2012 where he put together a recipe that he hoped would create an English Style Porter.

The result was better than he expected and at the time he challenged the viewing public to try this recipe. This is a recipe that includes extract and grains and is within the capabilities of all brewers new and old. I have watched this video a few times now and have decided to give it a go. I will set this fermenting while I prepare a number of all grain brews I plan to do over the next few weeks.

If you have not seen this video or Craig's channel [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxixrzoLWSI"]CLICK HERE[/ame] for the video and then have a look at his channel from there. It may not be to everyone's taste but I have picked a few tips from him and he is, at the very least, entertaining. The video includes the recipe below the viewing screen.

I have now set this going. It took me about 2.5 hrs. The OG was 1.052. Just have to wait and see how it turns out. :)

Cool. I've watched his videos in the past. Helpful, very laid back and accessible for anyone to watch. Porter is basically bitter with added choc malt and sometimes brown malt, so it's a simple way to make a porter. If you added roast barley and/or black malt you'd get a stout.

I was given a Coopers bitter a few weeks ago. I already had the grains, light DME and hops required so all I had to buy was a tin of Coopers light extract and the Windsor yeast. My next brew will probably be a 10 ltr all grain test brew of a clone recipe for Theakston's Old Peculier.

. Porter is basically bitter with added choc malt and sometimes brown malt, so it's a simple way to make a porter. If you added roast barley and/or black malt you'd get a stout.

I've never thought of Porter/Stout like that, this will help me over the summer when I start doing things to kits

On a basic level (most big breweries do this):

Blonde Ale = pale malt
Bitter/ ESB/ IPA = Pale malt + crystal
Brown Ale = Pale + crystal + Choc 125g
Porter = Pale + Crystal + choc 250g + black 125g (sometimes brown malt)
Stout = pale + crystal + Roast barley/black 250g
Irish stout = pale + flaked barley + Roast barley

That sounds fine. Plus pale malt of course. Bram X at 15 minutes perhaps. Or other hops you have.

Why pale malt? I thought I couldn't add it anyway cuz as it needs to be mashed and I'm only doing a steep plus kit.

Don't have any Bram X (although I can get it from my LHBS) was going to added either Fuggles or Progress as a tea

Ah sorry thought you meant mini mash, my bad. I'd use Progress. But Fuggles also very suitable.

A coopers stout with mini mash would be great, no extra work really. Just bung some pale malt in with the steep and keep it at 66ish for 45 mins. And add extract too.

Why pale malt? I thought I couldn't add it anyway cuz as it needs to be mashed and I'm only doing a steep plus kit.

Don't have any Bram X (although I can get it from my LHBS) was going to added either Fuggles or Progress as a tea

You need to boil the steeping liquid, so it may as well be boiled with the hops, if only for 5-7 mins.

If you have DME, then 500g or better still 1kg will give you a very good beer indeed.

On a basic level (most big breweries do this):

Blonde Ale = pale malt
Bitter/ ESB/ IPA = Pale malt + crystal
Brown Ale = Pale + crystal + Choc 125g
Porter = Pale + Crystal + choc 250g + black 125g (sometimes brown malt)
Stout = pale + crystal + Roast barley/black 250g
Irish stout = pale + flaked barley + Roast barley

This is very handy, and a nice way to think of traditional ales.

The only thing I would say, although it doesn't apply to "big breweries" we are talking about here as I'm talking historically, but IPA was originally made with pale malt only. Most of the current IPAs we brew in the UK have little in common with the original style which was very strong, and very, very hoppy (including dry-hopping). Crystal malts started to appear in IPAs in the 1900's, long after the style was originated.

Latest posts

Back