Crazy efficiency with the Brew Monk

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattGuk

Reaction score
So, after a 4 month hiatus, I decided to get a brew on today.
Thought my day had been mapped out for me, when weighing my grains, my scales packed up and had to go and get some more ( not a good start ).
All gone nice and smooth and looking at my notes, the last time a brewed this particular beer ( a golden ale ) I got a BHE of 77%, which is good for one of these systems.
However, I used just 4.27KG if grain for a 24L batch, and looking at my hydro, pre boil gravity is at 1.048, BF calculated 1.037.
One thing, I opted for a fine crush this time around, and my sparge was REALLY slow, but would a slow sparge really have that effect on efficiency?
Anybody had crazy efficiency with these all in ones?

Thought my day had been mapped out for me, when weighing my grains, my scales packed up and had to go and get some more ( not a good start ).
All gone nice and smooth and looking at my notes, the last time a brewed this particular beer ( a golden ale ) I got a BHE of 77%, which is good for one of these systems.
However, I used just 4.27KG if grain for a 24L batch, and looking at my hydro, pre boil gravity is at 1.048, BF calculated 1.037.
One thing, I opted for a fine crush this time around, and my sparge was REALLY slow, but would a slow sparge really have that effect on efficiency?
That seems too high and over 100 BHE. maybe check the gravity again?
If you made a stronger wort then diluted down with water after the boil to go into the fermenter then there's a chance it wasn't mixed fully?

That's exactly what I thought, waaaaay to high, impossible even, I'm just transferring to the fermenter so I'll keep you posted, but hydro and refrac ready pretty much the same, and that was after a bloody good mix around lol

Just transferred and double checked, mustn't have been full mixed, however, I did end up with 1.045 with is about 82%, which is still quite a bit higher than I normally get lol

Gravity is fairly meaningless without volume when efficiency considered.
Both gravity and volume need to be corrected for temperature.
Mash efficiency is what to look at.
Bhe depends a lot on trub loss / decant and boil off.
crush, stirring, salts,pH, temperature, mash duration, grain freshness and sparging technique all affect mash efficiency. I'm Bound to have forgotten other factors.

I find pre-boil wort can be a bugger for stratifying, and gravity measurements from tap at the bottom of my kettle will be much higher.
This really gets me, especially as I try to have less contact and just leave it. Even during the heat up to boil it doesn’t mix.

Nobody stirs their fermenter though? Can the gravity readings be trusted?

This really gets me, especially as I try to have less contact and just leave it. Even during the heat up to boil it doesn’t mix.

Pre boil wort is in the kettle for under an hour. Fermenting wort in is the fermenter for over a week.

Plus. The fermentation in the fermenter stirs it constantly from the bottom up. And pouring the wort into the fermenter mixes it pretty nicely

Best way to check your pre boil gravity is a few minutes into the actual boil. The wort is thoroughly mixed at this stage.

I never take any samples from the bottom tap pre-boil or post-boil.
I have also been there tooasad.
Isn't it amazing how clever we think we are at times (knowing which enzymes do this and that)and do basic mistakes no matter how much experience🤣

I pipette a bit off the top when it's reaching boiling, but got caught out in the very early days before buying a refractometer. A bit of a head scratcher the first time.

That’s a bit different: the kettle will stratify because the sugar content has quite a different density to water. After fermentation the sugar (should) be almost all converted to alcohol which won’t stratify because it’s a much lighter molecule.

Back