Crystal malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griz

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve decided to do a brew using dried malt extract rather than the all grain method that I usually use. My question is how do I introduce Crystal malt into the recipe. Do I soak it, boil it, mash it separately or is it included in the dried malt? Apologies if this is a bit of a crass question, but I’m always seeking to improve my brewing knowledge.

I think the usual procedure is to "steep" them. Depending on how dark the crystal is there may or may not be starch and fermentable sugars so I'm not sure if you need to do like a "mini mash". There's no fermentables in darker malts so no need to mash if they're on the darker side.

I usually do all-grain, but when I'm brewing extract I add the grains in aesh bag as the temperature comes up to 60C and leave them in, and stop heating once the liquor gets to about 75C and hold it there for a while to extract the flavours. I don't boil the grains although that might also be possible.

As Jim said, you want to steep the grains. Crystal malt has had its starch converted to sugar, so you don't need to do a mini mash (the enzymes to convert starch into sugar have been denatured/killed in crystal malt anyway).

Plenty of information out there. Google for extract brew and steeping crystal malt. You'll get loads of guides and explanations

Hi, I’ve decided to do a brew using dried malt extract rather than the all grain method that I usually use. My question is how do I introduce Crystal malt into the recipe. Do I soak it, boil it, mash it separately or is it included in the dried malt? Apologies if this is a bit of a crass question, but I’m always seeking to improve my brewing knowledge.
Soak it overnight, or soak at 77C for half an hour. While most of the starch has been eliminated during kilning, even in dark crystal there will be some starch left to convert. The 77C will eliminate any starch converting. If it is just for your own consumption why worry about a small rise in alcohol from the crystal?

Back