Dandelion wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tonyhibbett said:
I forgot to mention vitamin B1 tablets because I didn't use them. The first brew took a long time to get started on account of this omission. Flower based wines need it as a kick starter, apparantly.

I've never used B1 and not really noticed any problems, but I do always have either standard nutrient or raisins/sultanas or both.

I picked up some cheap strawberry plants to replace those lost during the severe winter and dug out all the dandelions in the patch before planting them. After an angry exchange with some noisy neighbours, I vented my spleen on the weeds in the veg patch generally, mostly dandelions. Inspired by this, my other noisy neighbour used my lawnmower to completely destroy the third crop of dandelions by mowing their lawn, in order to have a noisy bbq.
No temptation to make a third batch, thank god. That'll fix it, thought Ron, but he was wrong.
I went down to the vineyard and was initially pleased that the park staff had cut the grass again. They also cut one of my new vines and some of the cuttings, assuming, presumably, that they were weeds. Despite this, there were hundreds of triumphant dandelions grinning up at me. 'You don't pull no punches, but you can't stop the river!'

With the second batch, I left the pulp longer. I strained out a mere 300 g of solids but had more fine sediment and a scummy layer which looks revolting. The net result is the same.

goodolpete said:
I have just started an easy white with the addition of 2 pints of dandelion petals blitzed
in boiling water to see how it comes out.

Pete
My wine is all ready to be bottled.
Tastes good now, so should get better after time in the bottle.
Now where can I find any more dandelions.................

My first batch is now very clear. It has a raw, somewhat 'primitive' taste. The vinometer, which is usually fairly accurate for dry white wines, gives a reading of only 9% abv. This makes sense because the total volume of must, strained, was 5.5 litres and a kilo of brewing sugar produces less alcohol than a kilo of ordinary sugar. I should have used less water and more sultanas, because at 9%, it may not keep very long.

Hi I used the following recipe

3 - 4 Pints of dandelion flowers
1.2kg granulated sugar
3 Oranges
1 Gallon Water
Yeast

It fermented well, I racked it off into a second vessel and it is clearing nicely BUT
it is sparkling and you can see the bubbles rising happily. It tastes medium to sweet. Thy hydrometer reading is 1010.

So is this just going to be a sparkling version (who knows how that happened) or should I leave it longer?

Thanks

If you fancy sparkling and have suitable bottles, go for it.
Otherwise, leave it to finish below 1000

Latest posts

Back