Debugging kegerator foaming issue

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbromberg

Reaction score
So I've had my kegerator for a while and never quite seemed to stop over foaming beer, but it's been especially bad with high carbonation beers such as our German hefeweizen. I'm about ready to start over, but maybe you all can advise. Here's my setup:
Cornie keg to 3/8 inch John Guest to a stem reducer to 2m of 3/16" line back through a reducer to a flow control tap. The fridge is kept at 37 degrees F. The hefeweizen is kept in pressure at around 19psi, which I'm not adjusting for serving. I'm wondering if a) the smaller line and all the adapters just complicate things creating more possibilities for friction, and b) if the mechanisms in the flow control tap are coming in contact with the beer too early causing the foam. Any thoughts? Would I be better off with 3/8 inch line the whole way and a regular tap?

Would I be better off with 3/8 inch line the whole way and a regular tap?
Absolutely not, not unless you had hundreds of metres of it. You need the friction unless you've got your tap much higher than the keg.

If you've already got the choker 3/16 line and a flow controller then it could be that there's dirt in the line creating nucleation sites, or there's a temperature difference between the lines and the beer.

Hi!
Check your 3/16 line. Mine is 3/16 OD and the ID is only 3mm.
I've balanced my system based upon 3/16 ID, and I'm happy with it, but a new calculation with the correct ID means my beer line needs to be only 60cm!
I know this doesn't solve your problem since a longer "3/16" beer line increases friction.
Try this calculator with 0.118 inches as your ID.

Back