degassing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu9000

Reaction score
My wines are not particularly clear at the mo.

Ive got a whizz stick on a drill but could be better at remembering to use it.

I saw a neat trick on Youtube about converting a wine vacuum to work on DJs.

Here's the link. The action is near the end.

Anyone tried this?

3116ZY7ZD6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Try a search for “vacuvin” on the Harris forum, there has been some discussion and I'm sure that Wurzel uses one.

I've been using one of these... (£3 from the store)

http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Pro ... =152571039

Works well, I used a turkey baster from Wilkinsons which just happened to be the same diameter as a wine bottle, stuck the end of the TB into a standard bung, stuck the rubber cap into the TB and pumped the air out.

You can literally see it working, it's best to do it over a number of hours or even days if you have the time and make sure you leave the wine with a vacuum so the CO2 can escape.

And don't pump too fast as this can cause the wine to fizz too much and it can overflow... (this never happened to me though :eek: :nono: :oops: :oops: :oops: )

If you want to practice, buy a bottle of cheapo soda water from Asda (I think they're 20p at the most), and fill the DJ up carefully (so less of the CO2 escapes), then gently top up with water, fit bung etc, and test...

Also worth bearing in mind that the warmer the liquid, the easier it is to degas, so if you use a heater, leave it on the heater until you've degassed it :thumb:

Patience isn't a virtue that I possess in any great measure in any aspect of my life other than winemaking and brewing. Even so .....
shadow47 said:
it's best to do it over a number of hours or even days
Sod that for a lark, mine gets a good shaking about four times over a ten minute period.

Good tip about temperature though :thumb:

i have one of these degassing things and i was totally underwhelmed,the degassing with this bit of kit takes forever.tried and tried with it,but in the end it was far too slow and too much like hard work, so what i do now is ,rack it off and half way through just give it a bluddy good shake,then at three quarters,and carry on like that,this seems to work for me.seriously over estimated bit of kit,not used mine for yonks.

Nice paddle for a nice price.
But, how does the mixing up of wine achieve the degassing.
Im assuming you dont want to whip it up into a froth, but do want to stir it low down..?

Ta
S

If you're using a paddle of any description I would agree that it ought to be fully immersed, because ideally you want to knock the CO2 out of the solution without introducing too much oxygen.

I suppose if you're using glass demijohns the vacuum method would be the best, but I do wonder how much you could suck before the jar imploded, they aren't designed as pressure vessels. If you're using PETs the whole idea is a non-starter.

Tricky one - how do the big boys (and/or girls) do it?

Cant see my DJ imploding with a wine pump degasser.
After all my wine bottles dont pop.
Now, I did see some electric car tyre pump conversions on YouTube that looked fun, perhaps too much so. :shock:

I use a vacuvin for degassing my beer samples prior to taking a gravity reading . . . It would be too much work and take too long for a demijohn . . . especially as I only make wine in 5 Gallon batches.

I'm with Moley, a damned good shaking a few times over an hour does more than enough for me

Hmmm - tried the shaking the dj thing with degassing and didnt seem to get me anywhere.
Perhaps I didnt do it enough.

I put the grey valve into a round airlock and it worked a treat.
Loads of bubbles. Lots of gas removed. V satisfying.

But, im doing all this to clear my reds and, even though ive broough it in from the v cold garage, degassed loads and whacked in some kwik clear it still seems black as the night to me. gonna post a new thread. just dont know what im doing wrong here.
S

Having tried the pump Ive moved back to a good old fashioned shake.
The pump worked but just seemed a bit weak.
A good shake produced a load more bubbles.

Latest posts

Back