Deionised water - reassurance wanted

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Spotless is mains water, UV treated and RO filtered to 0 TDS. Waste RO water returned to sewerage rather than surface water.

Thought I'd follow up with some feedback on Spotless water. I arrived, filled up my brewbucket with 10litres water (as i was just diluting my tap water) Couldn't see any fluff or dead skin in it. Didn't have to pay. I tested it when i got home and it had zero alkalinity. (or as good as zero)

Worked for me, and i will be using it for future soft brews

Thought I'd follow up with some feedback on Spotless water. I arrived, filled up my brewbucket with 10litres water (as i was just diluting my tap water) Couldn't see any fluff or dead skin in it. Didn't have to pay. I tested it when i got home and it had zero alkalinity. (or as good as zero)

Worked for me, and i will be using it for future soft brews
You didn’t have to pay? I have to use my card when I go, it’s 3.5p/l I think.

Yeah. It seemed a bit odd. I was keen to pay but it didn't want to take any money.

Maybe the previous person had left some credit?

Yeah I was following that thread mainly for the point of it not being food grade. But theough id give it a go as people use it in aquariums so if it’s good enough for the fishes it’s probably good enough for us especially after a good boiling.

Also when I picked up the water today the hose was printed ‘food grade’ down its length so the equipment that dispenses the water appears at least to be good grade even if the water is not officially classified.

Anyway I’m assuming it’s DI water as it states the water is zero on tds at parts per billion level and I don’t think RO water is zero on tds

If you are all grain brewing, I would thoroughly recommend spotless water if you have a filling unit near you.
Self-Service Ultra Pure Water Network | Spotless Water
I use it all the time! You can treat it the same way that you would distilled water to achieve your desired water profile.
I can get close enough to what I want just by diluting it with my tap water (South East London Thames water).
I use about 80 to 85% spotless for lagers. Still experimenting with ales, but about 50/50 is a good place to start if you don't want to get into the science of adding minerals.

I did nearly 10 years ago use 50/50 of RO water and my tap water after I had had a couple or so brews that were too astringent. This did seem to sort it.
I did not add anything just used it to dilute the tap water which must have changed at that time.
I just use tap water with Campden and Acid malt nowadays and it seems to be Ok now

Think I may may have said this in another thread... Isn't acid addition easier, and pop in a few brewing salts?
If you are inexperienced, you might not have the necessary knowledge, scales and minerals.
If you are experienced and have an up to date water analysis, then go for it.
If you don't have a water analysis then as I said I'd start with spotless and add the necessary salts.
It is very cheap. (If you have an outlet close to you).

If you are inexperienced, you might not have the necessary knowledge, scales and minerals.
If you are experienced and have an up to date water analysis, then go for it.
If you don't have a water analysis then as I said I'd start with spotless and add the necessary salts.
It is very cheap. (If you have an outlet close to you).

Either way you still need to add salts, you still need some knowledge and you still need scales and minerals?
You do need either a water analysis or spend 5 mins learning to use a GH/KH test kit available for £10

Different strokes for different folks.

I only mention it cos I was shy of water treatment, but the Murphy's guide, AMS & DWB from Maltmiller (£10 and will do loads of brews) and some swimming pool testers (a couple of quid off ebay) soon sorted it.

It's only that lumping water about and a car journey seemed ott, when I have a tap.

.. And speak quietly else the sanitizer police will be down on you too 😲😲🤣👍🏼

Latest posts

Back