Did I do something wrong?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rossyboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m new to wine making only made one batch so far and it turned out okay. I have 2 wines on the go at the moment, the first is a cherry wine and the starting gravity was 1.045 after a week I took another reading and it is at 1.020 and that seems low to me. Is that a normal reading after a week? Also the other wine is a red grape wine with a starting gravity of 1.080 and it is still 1.08 after a week so is this one dead or can I do something to start it. Any advice for a newbie is much appreciated

We are going to need a bit of info what are you making kits or something you bought?
Sorry I should’ve added that info, it’s a juice wine recipe I’m doing so it was
2.5l cherry juice (store bought)
1l cranberry juice
I cup strong tea for tannins
1tsp express wine yeast compound
1tsp yeast nutrients
1tsp pectolase
1tsp bentonite
1 tsp of food grade glycerine
800g of white sugar

The one at 1.020 is probably fine; my wines seem to ferment slowly but do ferment out after there, four or more weeks. I have had a few wines not ferment and I just added a bit of yeast nutrient or a fresh dose of yeast. Occasionally, nothing works. Are you sure the grape juice did not contain preservatives? What temperature do you keep the ferment

The one at 1.020 is probably fine; my wines seem to ferment slowly but do ferment out after there, four or more weeks. I have had a few wines not ferment and I just added a bit of yeast nutrient or a fresh dose of yeast. Occasionally, nothing works. Are you sure the grape juice did not contain preservatives? What temperature do you keep the ferment
Thanks for the help and advice, so I shouldn’t worry and just be patient? And the grape juice doesn’t have any preservatives. And the cupboard is at 21C during the day and maybe 17/18C at night. 😁

You will have to try and restart the grape juice one. Try a new batch of yeast. some of my wines failed and recovered with a different yeast. I have just realised that my yeast should go in the fridge after the tub has been opened. The tub says use within three months, even though the best-before date is in 2021; so check the date on yer yeast.

You will have to try and restart the grape juice one. Try a new batch of yeast. some of my wines failed and recovered with a different yeast. I have just realised that my yeast should go in the fridge after the tub has been opened. The tub says use within three months, even though the best-before date is in 2021; so check the date on yer yeast.
Great I’ll give that a try thanks for your help I really appreciate it

Latest posts

Back