Different year, different process (AG 11/01)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigite

Landlord.
Reaction score
So it's the first brew of 2011. Has to be an EverySecond.
Difference is that I'm trying a packet of bought dry yeast, first time I've done this for a good few years so we'll see what the difference is.

Second change of 2011 is that I'm using my recirculation system to bring my tun up to the strike temp to try to get the mash start temp more accurate. The idea is that with 4kg grain at 18degC and 11.5litres water the strike temp to get a 64deg mash is 70.4degC. I put 11.5litres into the tun and circulate through coil in HLT at 78 and stop when mash liquid is at 70.5
Well the temp thingy works so no more hastle trying to predict heat loss due to equipment temperature. One of those bright ideas that is so obvious you wonder why you did not do it earlier :wha: Bet you lot figured it out ages ago.

1f9d1361.png

f6b0e712.png

The mash sat in the tun for hour and half and dropped about 1.5deg which is fine as I'm after a dryish brew, only put the recalculation on for the last 10mins of mash to filter the wort and start bringing the temp up. Again, worked a treat.

Back to the yeast. Safale S-04
Took ages to get going compared to my normal starter. But by today, 24hrs into fermentation I have the lovely fluffly head I'd expect.

3.6kg pale malt
0.4kg crystal malt
11.5 litres mash at 64degC for 100mins
sparge with 10.5litres at 78degC
top up boiler with 12.5 litres.
Boil 90 mins
Fuggle 75g 4.3% 75 mins
Styrian Golding 25g 3.3% 75 mins
Styrian Golding 40g aroma hops for 10 mins when down to 80degC
Copper finings

:D :pray:

Looks a good system, it's a good way to progress. I had a nightmare at the weekend with my mashing process. I have been using a 'bucket in a bucket' system but getting the strike/mash temperature right is not easy.

Conjurers up an image of Neil lifting the lid on the FV checking the progress every half hour :D

Great stuff, I'm only just getting my head around HERMs :thumb:

Looks pretty slick. I have toyed with planning a HERMS as my next upgrade - your post really shows the benefits. :thumb:

So it's Tuesday. Brewed on Sunday.
The yeast head on the FV has vanished!
Is that normal for safale yeast? 48hrs!
I'll take a hydrometer reading this evening. :thumb:

Dunfie, I know my setup doesn't follow a typical system but I am trying to minimise yet simplify my set up. the pid controlled htl means not only does it allow mash tun temp adjustment but as it is the better part of five gallon, it seems to warm up evenly. And the bonus is the htl water that has the recirculation in it doubles as the sparge water :D

Difference is that I'm trying a packet of bought dry yeast, first time I've done this for a good few years so we'll see what the difference is.

Expenditure hey, what system do you use to recycle your yeast Craig, seems to work well.

second change of 2011 is that I'm using my recirculation system to bring my tun up to the strike temp to try to get the mash start temp more accurate.

Thats called a Whe el, wheel. :lol: sorry. ;)

Springer, I've always just skimmed the yeast off the top ever 6 or so brews. I divide that skimming, which would be about half to one litre, and once settled I split into six and store in fridge. I use a starter which I start about 24 hrs before I brew.
:thumb:

What's a wheel?

Thanks Craig, presumably in a sterized bottle and then it stays in the fridge for several weeks ?
I have transfered yeast head from one bucket to the next, when I had a "misfire" and know about reactivating bottle dregs, but it looks like your version works well, one packet in several years. ;)

What's a wheel?

:lol:

Back