disaster!! not sure what I can do

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took this around my dads house who doesn't have the RCD he says.. he put it on a separate breaker, plugged it in and before he could even press the 1/0 it tripped right out..

So as far as I am concerned it is 100% dud, either a leak which is going into the electrics or just plain dodgy wiring..

Ace have replied on ebay saying ring but dont pick up, told me to ring back monday... a bit tactiturn but I will see what they say. First choice would be get a refund as given the choice now I feel possibly burner and pot might be a better way to go even if not ideal. However If they replace then I will gladly accept that.

Thank you for your help and suggestions everyone.

When you sent the initial message about the fault, which option(message type) did you use? Was it the one about there being a fault, or was it the general message one? If you chose the option about there being a fault, then you have already opened a dispute (they call it a request now, but it's still a dispute and it automatically records a defect on the seller's account).You aren't told this at the time, but both item not received and faulty item messages automatically open disputes. If you don't get a satisfactory reply within (I think) 8 days, then you can escalate the dispute and ask eBay to step in and sort it out. If you can find a phone number for them, it's worth phoning ebay customer support (can't help with the number I'm afraid, I'm a pro seller and we get different support). Failing that, email them.
I wouldn't bother with a paypal dispute, they will tell you to return the item at your own expense before they do anything. In theory the law demands that the seller pays the return costs for faulty goods, but it's hard to enforce and it does sound like you're being given the runaround. If you insist on communicating through ebay messages, then customer support can see the messages and make a judgement about what has happened so far. If you phone them then you have no proof of anything they have said.

I just did a contact seller perhaps I did the wrong thing.. I cannot remember if I was honest

I have the number and will call Monday if I get no resolution I will escalate it to ebay but interesting to see what you say about ebay messages as they seem insistent on speaking on the phone.. which is fine but perhaps I will confirm all conversations via the messaging system after Thanks.

All correspondence on eBay is viewable by their staff when you have a dispute, so stick to that if you can, and remember that they may review it. Don't mention anything which may put your issue into question, so just say you plugged it in and it tripped the mains and does so in another building.

You gave the seller enough time to sort it he didn't deserve more.

Yes. The correct response of a seller who is told that a boiler trips out the fuse box is NOT to say - ah - ok get in touch with somebody else. It is to immediately offer detailed support and to offer immediate replacement. Fortunately, since the item was bought on ebay with paypal, you have an absolute guarantee that at least for a reasonable period, you can get your money back through an enforceable system.

Thanks guys he messaged back saying okay no problem so I think he conceeded it.

I think actually from this I will investigate going down the burner and pot route.. I know many use electric fine and given my physiocal situation electric woudl be better suited but gas well you cannot go wrong with that!

Thanks guys he messaged back saying okay no problem so I think he conceeded it.

I think actually from this I will investigate going down the burner and pot route.. I know many use electric fine and given my physiocal situation electric woudl be better suited but gas well you cannot go wrong with that!

Won't trip out anyway. I feel sorry that I was partly responsible for you getting this setup. I'm sorry you got a bad 'un. I'll be using mine again tomorrow. It won't trip my RCD, because I have old fashioned wire fuses. As long as it doesn't blow those or electrocute me, all will be well.... LOL :)

To be fair. Electrical and electronic equipment has a substantial failure rate at the level of a few percent. You were very unlucky.

Won't trip out anyway. I feel sorry that I was partly responsible for you getting this setup. I'm sorry you got a bad 'un. I'll be using mine again tomorrow. It won't trip my RCD, because I have old fashioned wire fuses. As long as it doesn't blow those or electrocute me, all will be well.... LOL :)

To be fair. Electrical and electronic equipment has a substantial failure rate at the level of a few percent. You were very unlucky.

lol wasn't your fault mate!! I was planning on getting a peco boiler.. its just when I saw the ACE they looked shiny and well worth the extra £50 for the hop strainer tap, adjustable temp insulated wall and well shiney. To be honest problem aside it is a nice bit of kit.. If it worked I would have been delighted with it... I just got a bad one.. My Dads house is an old style one with no RCD.. he put my ACE on it last night on a separate breaker and it tripped his whole house out without him even turning the device on!! It is certainly just a bad one.. probably leaking into the electrics.

Stupid really I am sure if I had another one it would be fine and realistically electric is better suited as I can do it in the house when I want too, but this experience has put me off I just don't feel that confident if I had to mess around with it or electronics.. Or try to save a brew again.. Hopefully all will be well i will have my full refund and hopefully my saison although a few liters short will turn out all fine.

Back