Do hops go out of date?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kinleycat

Landlord.
Reaction score
Planning my first dry hopping.
Bought some Styrian Goldings from LHBS, got them home and they have a best before of Jan 2013.
I know with herbs and spices they start to lose a lot of flavour when they are past their best before date.
Should I take them back or just use a bit more?

They lose flavour and bittering ability over time.

Personally I would just use them and mention it to the LHBS next time and perhaps get some discount on your next purchase... :thumb:

if they were cold stored, fridge freezer that is, I'd be OK with it, but if they were just sitting on a shelf Id be a 'tad' more concerned.. some softwares like beersmith have the function of telling you what the AA% reduction is over time I believe.

Cheers

Yob said:
if they were cold stored, fridge freezer that is, I'd be OK with it

I'd agree with this, as you are looking to dry hop with them the AA% drop is not such an issue for you, but the flavour does degrade and hops can go ' cheesy ' ( good storage will make them last longer but it still happens over time ) - give a small bit a good rub together in your hands and then smell them, that'll will let you know :thumb:

Latest posts

Back