Do I need a heat mat for my boiler?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ginger Ninja

Regular.
Reaction score
Im testing out my nice shiny boiler tonight (stockpot with kettle eliments) and at the moment its sat on an old computer desk (a big solid one) and I was wondering if after 90mins of boil the desk top will be ruined? I dont really care about the desk but I dont want it to get weak and collapse!

Should I invest in any kind of heat protection? Tea towels/ Cork heat mats / Another plank of wood???

Cheers

GN

There is no doubt that you will get heat transfer to your desk, but if is solid like you say the integrity will not be compromised.
Your biggest concern should be heat losses from the boiler, I stand mine on 3/4" chipboard.

The first time I used my boiler it was sat on a kitchen worksurface, thinking nothing would harm that. Wrong. It left a nice discoloured circle that cannot be shifted. :whistle:

Now I stand my boiler on a piece of chipboard and that's enough to protect the worksurface below :thumb:

I stand mine on a sheet of polystyrene (Well teh HLT and the Mash Tun . . .Gas powered boiler is not good with polystyrene :whistle: :whistle:

BigYin said:
The first time I used my boiler it was sat on a kitchen worksurface, thinking nothing would harm that. Wrong. It left a nice discoloured circle that cannot be shifted. :whistle:

Hmmm. I do the same and there's no marks at all.

Is it a nice shiney well made boiler with a bespoke tailored insulation jacket that you have Guy? :whistle:

I stand mine on an inch thick circle of MDF, the heat still gets through but not enough to effect the vigour of the boil. :thumb:
BB

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Is it a nice shiney well made boiler with a bespoke tailored insulation jacket that you have Guy? :whistle:

It most certainly is a most splendidly shiny marvelously made industriously insulated beast of a boiler that I have...

On a slightly different tack has anyone had the sponge of insulated camping mats going gooey after 90 mins around a boiler.

I've got some of that blue sponge backed foil insulation mat that is sold on flea bay as a camping mat for mine but the sponge backing is quite soft, not had chance to test it yet.

:sick:

Latest posts

Back