Do I need bottling yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what it looks like at the moment

Attachments

• IMG_9402.jpeg
    IMG_9402.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9399.jpeg
    IMG_9399.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 0
At 1.004, you may as well just let it ferment out fully.

I know Belgians are supposed to finish quite dry but I’ve never seen on any other recipes a quad finishing this low before!

From what I've read, Trappiste breweries use water high in carbonate, and as a result have high mash pH. This will likely give lower fermentability from the mash, which is then increased by adding simple sugar.

I don't think any Trappiste breweries use a Diastatic yeast strains, either. Personally, I think M41 is likely similar to Duvel. Coupled with an overnight mash, you're going to get much higher fermentability and attenuation than found in a Trappiste quad.

At 1.004, you may as well just let it ferment out fully.

From what I've read, Trappiste breweries use water high in carbonate, and as a result have high mash pH. This will likely give lower fermentability from the mash, which is then increased by adding simple sugar.

I don't think any Trappiste breweries use a Diastatic yeast strains, either. Personally, I think M41 is likely similar to Duvel. Coupled with an overnight mash, you're going to get much higher fermentability and attenuation than found in a Trappiste quad.
Well, so long as it tastes good I’ll be happy. The m41 packet says it’s good for golden strongs and Belgian dark strongs too. It worked incredibly well for my golden strong that I did so fingers crossed for this quad. The last attempt at this same quad I used t-58 yeast and it finished ridiculously high at 1.028! And boy could you taste the sweetness! So this quad now seems to have gone the opposite way! 😂
I just wish it would bloody clear!

Back