Do I need more yeast and what should my final gravity approx

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hulpy

Reaction score
So last saturday started a new newkie brown

Ritchies Simple brown ale
With 500g medium spray malt and two spoons of golden syrup (Tate And lyle)
450g brewing sugar

I pitched the yeast with 20g of brewing sugar and warm water in in a cup 5mins which worked well and fermentation started quickly after 3hrs was going at pace but then by Friday dropped right off

Then after a week I changed to a different Fv and added half a tin of treacle with 3/4 of a pint of boiling water and one cup of leys from the old Fv

fermentation has now slowed right down but after 3days doesn't seem to be picking up

Do I need to pitch more yeast? Oh and I added a Goldings hops tea bag today.

My starting gravity was 139 but didn't take a reading when I added the treacle what finishing gravity should I be looking at? Any ideas

Did you use the kit yeast? I would imagine that would finish around 1012-1014? Something like that? With you ferment starting off fast it could easily be finished fermenting in 5-7 days. I would leave it another day then take a reading and see what you have. Then three days later take another reading if you have the same then it's definitely finished and you are ready to bottle/keg depending on what you're planning :thumb:

Cheers has been quite warm so hoping that's the case, thanks for the guidance on gravity. Yes it was kit yeast.

Chances are it's finished. Assuming a normal tin of syrup you only added about 200-300g of sugars which would have been eaten up in a few days. As you only added about 10g sugar pr lt the sg would only have been raised a few points. Maybe added 1/2% ABV.

Just taking another gravity and im at 1.10!

Based on a 1.39 start then adding treacle I make that 3.8 +0.2ish and anything primed from bottle or barrel?

Thankyou for your help. Think that pitching the yeast in a warm cup of sugary water definitely got me off to a running start and the warm weather. Would defiantly recommend the treacle as gives a great treacle smell, although the faintest of tastes.

Having drunk the whole testing vase think this is going to be very drinkable after two weeks in the bottle which was a v quick turn around. All In all :party: one happy chappy! :D

Latest posts

Back