Do you think it's infected???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomFromEnfield

Reaction score
I finally got my first infection!!

All-grain IPA brewed 10/05/2020
Original gravity 1.075
Current gravity 1.019
Crossmyloof US Pale Ale yeast (attenuation 72-82%) fermented around 19C.

So I dry-hopped this yesterday opened the fermenter and found a thin white pellicle across the top. The white creases there are where I disturbed it by dropping in the hydrometer. The big bit of plastic floating around is an iSpindel. I always uses a hydrometer to double check the iSpindel reading but this time it was spot on anyway.

I tasted it. It didn't taste bad. Definitely not sour, maybe almost a spicy after taste. I don't think that's from the hops as it's pretty much a Punk IPA clone but with a higher ABV. Maybe a slightly slick mouthfeel but I'm not sure on that and definitely didn't taste buttery. The only detectable taste was that slight spiciness I wasn't expecting.

I use PBW/Oxiclean/VWP alongside StarSan/Chemsan so I've not had this before.

I usually bottled so I'm after some advice on what to do now. There's plenty of residual sugar in there so whatever is in there has plenty to eat through if it chooses so I'm reluctant to bottle now and kegging isn't an option. Any educated guesses as to what might have gotten in there? I don't use Brett so if it's wild yeast it's come in through the window. If I let it ride and keep an eye on the gravity until it's stable any idea how long it might take to stabilise? How low might that FG go?

IMG_20200603_183211.jpg

IMG_20200603_183211_1.jpg

IMG_20200603_183218_1.jpg

IMG_20200603_183226_1.jpg

It tastes fine currently so I'm very willing to drink it! Just a little concerned about over-carbonation if I bottle now. I'm wondering whether to wait to bottle and if so for how long.

I'll bleach the FV and anything else it touches once I've got it out of there.

I finally got my first infection!!

All-grain IPA brewed 10/05/2020
Original gravity 1.075
Current gravity 1.019
Crossmyloof US Pale Ale yeast (attenuation 72-82%) fermented around 19C.

So I dry-hopped this yesterday opened the fermenter and found a thin white pellicle across the top. The white creases there are where I disturbed it by dropping in the hydrometer. The big bit of plastic floating around is an iSpindel. I always uses a hydrometer to double check the iSpindel reading but this time it was spot on anyway.

I tasted it. It didn't taste bad. Definitely not sour, maybe almost a spicy after taste. I don't think that's from the hops as it's pretty much a Punk IPA clone but with a higher ABV. Maybe a slightly slick mouthfeel but I'm not sure on that and definitely didn't taste buttery. The only detectable taste was that slight spiciness I wasn't expecting.

I use PBW/Oxiclean/VWP alongside StarSan/Chemsan so I've not had this before.

I usually bottled so I'm after some advice on what to do now. There's plenty of residual sugar in there so whatever is in there has plenty to eat through if it chooses so I'm reluctant to bottle now and kegging isn't an option. Any educated guesses as to what might have gotten in there? I don't use Brett so if it's wild yeast it's come in through the window. If I let it ride and keep an eye on the gravity until it's stable any idea how long it might take to stabilise? How low might that FG go?

View attachment 27011
View attachment 27012
View attachment 27013
View attachment 27014
I had one on an Irish Red I was brewing for the NHC competition and never sent it of. Racked from below as @MyQul suggested and my only issue is I'll never replicate it as although there was a slight tartness to it, it was fantastic. Took it to a HB meeting and a few wanted the bottles I had at home...

It tastes fine currently so I'm very willing to drink it! Just a little concerned about over-carbonation if I bottle now. I'm wondering whether to wait to bottle and if so for how long.

You could carb it low. In fact you could not carb it at all and the yeast will scavenge any bits of sugar available to carb it a litte (about the same level as an English style). I've done this a couple of times with stouts. It just take a bit longer to carb up to that low level

On bottling decrease by a third your normal sugar as you may end up with bottle bombs..

Latest posts

Back