does anyone use mini kegs for TC?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

needmorstuf

Regular.
Reaction score
I soon got fed up with bottling WOW rose and now use bag in a box.

I have done 1 batch of Strawberry and lime TC and it's a hit so will be doing more. I have thought about using the mini kegs, the 5l ones that don't have a tap but are conditioned with a bung and at the time of consumption the bung is replaced with a tap that has a Co2 cartridge.

So does anyone use them for cider? I know people use for beer but the carbonation level for the cider recipe I used is far higher than what people use for ale and beer, being that in 25l of cider you use 400ml of lowicz to carbonate and that works out at roughly 6.5gm of sugar per 500ml.

Last edited:
I have. It was a recycled beer keg and there was plenty of carbonation.

I didn't use a party star with co2 for it though. I reused the vent cap/bung/valve and just poured from the tap as you would with a new one from the shop.

It is a good idea to relieve some pressure through the tap to a glass before opening the vent though. At those carb levels it would spray out pretty badly.

I'd imagine using a party star would work absolutely fine.

are you referring to the ones that come full or beer or some other beverage fort about £15? the ones with a little tap at the bottom..

and if so wouldn't the TC cider spoil if not consumed within a few days due to the air being introduced to the product inside the keg when you draw off some liquid?

Latest posts

Back