Does colour of the glass for bottling make a difference?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PokeHer

Reaction score
If the answer is no then you will probably laugh it this!

I brew lagers and bottle them into old 500ml bottles that I have saved, some are dark brown in colour, some are clear. I don't know if it's psychological.... but the clear ones taste way better than the darker ones.... is there any logic behind this or am I just an idiot?

DArk ar ebest as it stops the hops skunking or getting light struck. UV light can change some of the chemicals and make them smell of skunk pee.

However if you use clear ones make sure you store them in the dark. They are not ideal but a necessity when you are starting out.

:thumb:

I don't disbelieve you Gray but just wondered,
How come the likes of Newcasle Brown Ale and other real ales don't go off in their clear bottles?
Is it due to preservatives?

Andy

Since joining the forum I have been hesitant to buy beer that is stored in clear bottles, unfortunately that is a number of supposedly very nice beers (the badger stuff plus bishops finger and old particular i think as well).

graysalchemy said:
DArk ar ebest as it stops the hops skunking or getting light struck. UV light can change some of the chemicals and make them smell of skunk pee.

However if you use clear ones make sure you store them in the dark. They are not ideal but a necessity when you are starting out.

:thumb:

Now this has surprised me! Is that the same even for lagers? I'm sure my clear ones do taste better! I do store them in the dark though.

alanywiseman said:
Since joining the forum I have been hesitant to buy beer that is stored in clear bottles, unfortunately that is a number of supposedly very nice beers (the badger stuff plus bishops finger and old particular i think as well).

I love the Badgers stuff :) that's what most of my bottles are.

They use isomerized hop extract probably. This is what big guys like Carlsberg or Heineken use in their beers. Extract is less prone to skunking.

Latest posts

Back