Drinkaware

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racinsnake

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi
I know it's late and this is a strange question but I'm sober honest :lol:
I have a friend who has a very low tolerance to alcohol (long, medical story) but he likes a beer not a shandy, and asked me if it's possible to brew a low alcohol ale. He likes them dark and malty.
I realise adding less fermentables is an answer, just wondered if anyone else had any thoughts. I'm looking for somewhere around 2.5 - 3% abv.

Rob.

A bit lower than normal OG mild seems to me a perfect brew for you friend. Low alcohol - check. Dark and malty - Check. :thumb:

Are you brewing kit, extract or AG? How your brewing will determine how best to approach it

If you're a kit brewer, try using a 1 can kit, brew it a bit short and don't add sugar - it should turn out low alcohol but with more flavour than if you'd made it as per the instructions. I made some Victorian Bitter (Brewmaker) last year which turned out excellent, brewed it short to 4 gallons and added half a kilo of sugar - no homebrew twang, lowish alcohol (3.5% if I remember corectly) and excellent flavour.

Like Clibit said, I have certainly heard of the theory of heating up your beer to evaporate the alcohol. Alcohol evaporates at 78c, so if you could maintain a fairly solid 80c for perhaps 60 minutes I think you'd lose most of the alcohol from your beer. With some priming sugar and some fresh yeast you'd get maybe 2% or so I would guess that would work.
Like I say, I haven't tried it, and not sure I would risk it personally as I don't really have a need for low-alcohol beer. But I think the theory is good!

Thanks all
I am a kit brewer so I think il go the one can route. The boil method sounds interesting but must be a devil to take hydro readings.
I'm putting this on at the weekend so if anyone has a more ideas I'm still interested.

Rob.

Thanks all
I am a kit brewer so I think il go the one can route. The boil method sounds interesting but must be a devil to take hydro readings.
I'm putting this on at the weekend so if anyone has a more ideas I'm still interested.

Rob.

Good luck with it Rob! Let us know how you get on!

FYI - yeah the boil method would not be good for measuring gravity - unless you waited until it cooled, which wouldn't help if you had to heat it up again! You'd need a refractometer which measures the gravity and adjusts for temperature automatucally.

I reckon an hour at 80 would do it though, but I still feel it would be experimental and might take a few possibly ruined kits before you got it right.

You could use Windsor yeast as it leaves alot or the sugars untouched and/ or experiment using blackstrap molasses instead of sugar as I think its only around 50-60% fermentable but try it sparingly at 1st.

Just to update,
I/we went for a Brupaks West Country mild. I was a little late putting this on, I went for the extra water as it was the easy option, only needed an extra 4litres to get it down to 1032 It's been on a week now fermenting nicely at 19' A very nice kit with the grain and hops to boil, I'll be trying another from there range but as standard :D

Sure will Manse :wink:
I'm not sure it's completely finished I'm guessing it's been so quick as the yeast hasn't had much to do. I can't see it going below 1010 which is still acceptable, just gotta bottle it now!!

Sure will Manse :wink:
I'm not sure it's completely finished I'm guessing it's been so quick as the yeast hasn't had much to do. I can't see it going below 1010 which is still acceptable, just gotta bottle it now!!

I possibly can. In general the lower the OG the lower the final FG. E.g. Most of the milds in BYOBRA have a predicted FG lower than 1.010. But as you say there wasn't much fermentable in there in the first place so it may have finished now

Another update :

Bottled successfully, warm conditioned and delivered. Syphon sample tasted very good, so much so Iv put a Brupaks English bitter on!! Iv told him he needs to put them in the cold and wait as long as possible (Christmas!?) before he tries one.
So fingers crossed,

Latest posts

Back