Dry hop first brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunners1

Reaction score
Soooo I've had my Coopers IPA on just over a week and it has stopped gurgling in my airlock but still on the heat pad! I have some fresh hops being delivered tomorrow my idea was to syphon into two demijohns and dry hop then bottle what's left!
Do I dry hop on the heat pad for 4 days?
Do I cold crash my beer??
I still want to swim in my FV and the Mrs is concerned at how much time I'm stood in the garage!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I would do is......
Rack off into your demijohns
Leave them on the pad for another four days.
Put in your hops and leave on the pad for another four days.
Put in a cold place for two or three more days.
You should then end up with pretty clear beer which will still carbonate, and the hops will have given up their 'goodness'.

If I were you, I'd do what terry said but as it's your first brew I'd only dry hop one of the demijohns so you can see what difference you get from the dry hop.

This may be a silly question but being a novice it's not obvious to me.

Why rack off to demijohn and leave on heat for four days and then hop?

What about just leaving in the FV on heat?

And why the extra 4 days

Good idea doing a comparison [emoji106]

My thought process was dry hop two demijohns in different hops and also have the original homebrew in the fv to compare

This may be a silly question but being a novice it's not obvious to me.

Why rack off to demijohn and leave on heat for four days and then hop?

What about just leaving in the FV on heat?

And why the extra 4 days

Good idea doing a comparison [emoji106]

People put in a secondary - in this case a demijohn to help clear the the wort.

Keep it in the heat because it's still fermenting and clearing

Could I bottle some of my original FV at the weekend then but still syphon two demijohns for dry hopping??

Could I bottle some of my original FV at the weekend then but still syphon two demijohns for dry hopping??
That would work....but the idea of leaving it longer before you eventually bottle is that you end up with clearer beer being carried forward. Usual basic advice from folks on here is to leave it minimum of two weeks in the FV. But its up to you at the end of the day.

Is that on my heat pad or cold?
Thanks

Hops release their flavours/aroma better in a warmer environment so you want a 3 - 5 days warm (brewdog recommend 14, stone recommend 17, I just use the temp I fermented at because I'm lazy!) then put it somewhere cold for a few days the help clear.

If you are referring to my post #2 above, for clarity I have amended as follows
What I would do is......
Rack off into your demijohns
Leave them on the pad for another four days. (heat on)
Put in your hops and leave on the pad for another four days. (heat on)
Put in a cold place for two or three more days. (no heat!)
You should then end up with pretty clear beer which will still carbonate, and the hops will have given up their 'goodness'.

I hope that is completely clear, no pun intended.

Right think I'll syphon into my demijohns tomorrow, if I leave my fv on heat without hops for a few more days it won't do that any harm then? I only have one heat pad and one demijohn pad

Latest posts

Back