Dry hopping in a corny keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leard

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing a highly hopped session NEIPA soon. In order to avoid oxidation as much as possible I've thought of an idea on how to transfer and dry hop. Just wanted to hear if anybody had done something similar to this, or had a btter method?

I'm going to ferment as usual in my fermentation bucket. Once fermentation has completed I'm going go transfer directly from the fermentation bucket into the corny keg via the tap on the bucket through the beer line on the corny. However prior to this I will put all the hops in a bag and either somehow tie it to the beer line tube down the side, or to the underside of the lid. I'll then use dental floss attached to the bag and hanging outside of the keg so I'm able to pull the bag of hops out once they've finished hopping. My only concern is that this might not enable a complete seal on the o-ring.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Had another thought, is it even worth taking the hops out? If I keep them attached in a bag to the drip tube then they wouldn't risk clogging.

Last edited:
I'm interested in any replies, I have just got a Corny keg and would like to get a more hoppy nose for the next brew.

Hi @Leard, You can buy lids that have an angled bracket with a hole in and a small hop spider that will attach to the lid letting it hang down into the corny keg, if interested let me know as I have these items and can point you in the right direction.

Hi @Leard, You can buy lids that have an angled bracket with a hole in and a small hop spider that will attach to the lid letting it hang down into the corny keg, if interested let me know as I have these items and can point you in the right direction.
Sounds interesting- do you have a link?

That sounds perfect. Where can I buy one?

@Session has a very clever corny keg dry hopping trick. I'll not steal his thunder, so he can explain....

I just use a nylon hop bag with a stainless steel spoon. I've detected zero adverse effects of the hops being in there for weeks.

The closed transfers have been an absolute game-changer for heavily-hopped beers I brew.

@Session has a very clever corny keg dry hopping trick. I'll not steal his thunder, so he can explain....
You’re very kind @NPi !
It’s very easy really - just pop the hops in a hop bag, together with a stir bar, and stick this to the underside of the keg lid with a magnet (the magnet goes on the outside of the lid).

When you’re ready to dry hop, just remove the magnet and the hops (which are now purged by the CO2 produced during fermentation) will drop happily into your beer.

Easy!

I just use a nylon hop bag with a stainless steel spoon. I've detected zero adverse effects of the hops being in there for weeks.

The closed transfers have been an absolute game-changer for heavily-hopped beers I brew.
I found the same as you, how long do you leave it before drinking? Are you using pellets or leaf? I found it takes a week for the dust to settle out with pellets.

I found the same as you, how long do you leave it before drinking? Are you using pellets or leaf? I found it takes a week for the dust to settle out with pellets.

Pellets. 24 hours, but it definitely mellows after 3/4 days I reckon.

I forgot to ask how many pellets? Must try this again as the aroma was great.

Really depends on the style. Between 5-10g/l seems to work well for me. A bit higher if I'm wanting a massive aroma and "juicy" finish.

You’re very kind @NPi !
It’s very easy really - just pop the hops in a hop bag, together with a stir bar, and stick this to the underside of the keg lid with a magnet (the magnet goes on the outside of the lid).

When you’re ready to dry hop, just remove the magnet and the hops (which are now purged by the CO2 produced during fermentation) will drop happily into your beer.

Easy!

Why dies the magnet go on the outside of the lid? Couldn't I just put the magnet on the inside of the lid holding up the bag?

Why dies the magnet go on the outside of the lid? Couldn't I just put the magnet on the inside of the lid holding up the bag?
One magnet (the stir bar) on the inside in the bag that won't poison you and one on the outside (any type).

The stir-bar itself isn’t magnetic - at least mine isn’t. I only use a stir bar as it’s a ferrous metal covered in plastic, which mitigates any potential for corrosion. As @phildo79 mentioned, if you use two magnets the hops won’t drop into your beer when you remove the magnet on the outside as they’ll still be stuck to your keg lid.

Last edited:
The stir-bar itself isn’t magnetic - at least mine isn’t. I only use a stir bar as it’s a ferrous metal covered in plastic, which mitigates any potential for corrosion. As @phildo79 mentioned, if you use two magnets the hops won’t drop into your beer when you remove the magnet on the outside as they’ll still be stuck to your keg lid.
Isn't your keg lid aluminum, mine is and therefore no ferrous so the internal magnet would not stick to the lid without the help of the external magnet.

Won't opening the keg to remove the hops introduce oxygen?

I use a hop spider that the dip tube slots into. Except the hops go outside of it, giving more contact to the beer.
20170529_170416_HDR-01.jpeg

The process.

1) Put the hops in the keg, seal and purge.

2) Rack the beer into the keg via the beer out tube.

3) Leave for 2 days at fermentation temperature then chill somewhere between over night or a couple of days.

4) Transfer beer to another keg for carbonation.

Latest posts

Back